Home Open Account Help 334 users online

Canadian Railroads > Locked Center Pin....

Date: 07/19/15 15:29
Locked Center Pin....
Author: cardo72

Something of a different nature. You might be asking what this has to do with Canadian Railroads. Here is the back story. We are finishing up the truck rebuild for the ex-CN passenger car, Bedford, 1099. Our trucks were stripped down, sand blasted, defects corrected and reassembled. The trucks have passed the Amtrak inspection and we are working on the last few items on the check list before we start painting the trucks. This is a 1954 Pullman-Standard with trucks from General Steel Castings, numbered 31086. In order to get the trucks out from under the car, we had to crawl under the car and remove the center pins from the bottom of the center plate. On some cars, the center pins are able to be removed by opening a plate on the floor which allows access to the pins. If you walk into a passenger car and see a round plate in the floor about 6 or 8 feet from the door, there is a good chance the center pins are removed from the inside.

These brass plates are screwed onto the brackets which were cut off of the trucks during the tear down. The plates were coated in what appears to be a red paint or primer. On top of this is the black paint which was applied to everything. I am using a product called Citrustrip and it really seems to be doing the job. I will remove the plates as the brackets took a beating during the tear down and will need some rebuilding. Once I get the brass plates off, I will buff them up and paint them with a clear lacquer. They will then be remounted on the trucks and I will send those photos as well.

Gary

Date: 07/19/15 18:15
Re: Locked Center Pin....
Author: up833

That red/orange paint is red lead..so wear a resrpirator when making any dust..wash hands before eating.
  Good work!
Roger Beckett

Date: 07/19/15 23:23
Re: Locked Center Pin....
Author: cardo72

I figured it was not good. So far it has been covered in stripper and then washed off in a bucket of suds. Thanks for the reminder.

Gary

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0382 seconds