Home Open Account Help 328 users online

Canadian Railroads > CP/B&M at Wells River Vermont 1969.

Date: 08/31/15 05:06
CP/B&M at Wells River Vermont 1969.
Author: kgmontreal

Canadian Pacific and Boston & Maine had a successful freight route from New England to Detroit via Canada.  On CPR the overhead business was carried by trains 903/904 and 915/916.  These were hot trains that offered a discount rate and fast transit times that could not be matched by an all U.S. route (especially during Penn Central years).

Between Montreal and White River Jct, Vermont CP and B&M frequently pooled power.  The official change from CP to B&M rails was at Wells River, Vermont although in practical terms it was really White Jct.  The southbound CP freight shown here in May 1969 at Wells River has an all B&M lashup led by the disreputable 4228A trailed by an EMD B-unit and an RS-3.

KG

Date: 08/31/15 05:10
Re: CP/B&M at Wells River Vermont 1969.
Author: rschonfelder

Great photo.  You should write a book ...  very interesting beaten up look.

Rick

Date: 08/31/15 07:02
Author: CPR_4000

I've always been curious about that nasty weld job on 4228's nose.

Date: 08/31/15 09:16
Author: kgmontreal

CPR_4000 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've always been curious about that nasty weld job
> on 4228's nose.

I always wondered about that crude patch.  Perhaps someome will enlighten us.

KG

Date: 08/31/15 22:16
Author: sarailfan

Best guess would be an MU-receptacle which was removed and plated over? I really don't know, but I recall some railroads installed MU cable plugs beside the headlight in that general area, perhaps such an installation was reversed at some point?

Darren Boes
Lethbridge, AB
Southern Alberta Railfan

Date: 09/01/15 07:43

Nope, B&M F's did not have nose MU, although at a glance that patch appears to be a crude MU box cover.

Date: 09/01/15 09:39
Author: TCnR

Curious route, interesting looking territory. It's very dated but the two pig loads are interesitng, lumber on trailers on a flat car.

What goes on out here now?

Date: 09/01/15 10:20
Author: PHall

Weld job doesn't look that "bad". It just looks like they didn't finish doing the bodywork.
Just needs to be finish ground. Have body filler applied and sanded and be primered, sanded and painted. 

Date: 09/01/15 10:46

TCnR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What goes on out here now?

Route is now operated by Vermont Rail System's Washington County RR. Tri-weekly (?) service, connects with Central Maine & Quebec at Newport, VT and New England Central (and Pan Am?) at White River Junction.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0575 seconds