Home Open Account Help 345 users online

Canadian Railroads > Menu a'la The Canadian

Date: 09/02/15 10:29
Menu a'la The Canadian
Author: px320

I lived in Calgary from June 1956 until September 1959. During that time frame I completed High School at Western Canada High, then on a vacation trip to our old home in So. California I joined the US Navy.

In August of 1962 I was transferred from VA-126 (Attack Squadron - FJ-4B Fury, A4D-1 Skyhawk and F9F-8T Cougar) at Naval Air Station, Miramar (San Diego) to VAH-8 Heavy Attack Squadron - A3D Skywarrior - part of USS Midway Carrier Air Group) at Naval Air Station Whidbey Island (Washington).

I used my travel allotment and some of my own money to travel to Calgary to visit school buddies on the way to my new duty station​. After my all too short visit I took the Canadian from Calgary to Vancouver, then the International from Vancouver to Seattle.

I saved this dinner menu from the trip .

Sure was a great trip.​​

Date: 09/03/15 00:28
Re: Menu a'la The Canadian
Author: rschonfelder

How does someone go from Calgary to San Diego in 1959 no less?  Did you miss the snow? late Spring? Early Autumn?

Rick

Date: 09/03/15 04:41
Author: DrawingroomA

I notice from the codes at the bottom of the menu that this was the menu from January 1968.  That was the year of my first trip on the Canadian from Toronto to Banff and return.  Thanks for the memories.

In the mid-1970s I bought some blank menu covers with that lovely painting of The Canadian. CP Bygones was selling  a lot of interesting items then, from paper products to silverware.  Several years ago I gave one of the menus to the VIA Winnipeg staff in charge of Silver and Blue Class.  They were seriously thinking of adapting that cover for VIA.  It never happened due to two issues: copyright concerns and having to change the exterior of the train from Canadian Pacific to VIA colours.

Date: 09/03/15 08:08
Author: px320

rschonfelder Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How does someone go from Calgary to San Diego in
> 1959 no less?  Did you miss the snow? late
> Spring? Early Autumn?
>
> Rick

We drove from Calgary to the LA area in late August- early September​. I enlisted in the Navy at the LA Recruitment Center and was sent to San Diego for Boot Camp.

Date: 09/06/15 18:01
Author: E25

Is the scene depicted on the menu "Morant's Curve" without all of the trees there now, or somewhere else?

-- Greg

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0443 seconds