Home Open Account Help 268 users online

Canadian Railroads > MLW Monday, Unit Train Edition

Date: 11/23/15 14:48
MLW Monday, Unit Train Edition
Author: cn6218

It's March of 2004 and the snow and ice is gradually receding as Extra 8036 East, the "Gypsum" leads 21 empties across the St. Croix River just short of the Mantua Mine in Millers Creek, Nova Scotia.  Windsor & Hantsport trains generally were referred to by the westbound (loaded) leader's number.  On the gypsum trains, the RS-23 long hoods always faced west, to take advantage of the better radiator cooling for the loaded trains.  This train is on the Truro Spur, originally built as the Midland Railway, which connected Windsor with Truro.  My first train ride was on this line, from Clarksville to Kennetcook (just one station stop), on the mixed train that made a daily trip to Truro.

GTD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/15 14:50 by cn6218.

Date: 11/24/15 04:00
Re: MLW Monday, Unit Train Edition
Author: kgmontreal

Geoff,

Hope you don't mind but I ran your image through Lightroom and made a few adjustments.

KG

Date: 11/24/15 13:45
Author: cn6218

I don't mind at all Ken.

The slide was a bit dark to start with, and I had already lightened the mddle tones, but I think my monitor is a bit on the light side.  Some day I have to spring for a calibrated monitor, or a monitor that can be calibrated.  The last one was too dark (saturated), and anything processed with it generally looked pretty washed out anywhere else.  I think the colour balance was OK at least for this one.  I wound up balancing on the slightly darker snow, since that gave a warmer hue to the picture instead of a "blue" cast to it by balancing on the brightest whites.

GTD​

Date: 11/24/15 15:26
Author: kgmontreal

I find that many of the photos on Trainorders are too dark (not generally yours).  My laptop display tends to be a little dark causing me to lighten some of my contributions too much.  To check my photos I send them to myself and look at them on my iPad with the brightness slider in the middle of its range.  That seems to give me the best results.

KG

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0384 seconds