Home Open Account Help 323 users online

Canadian Railroads > When & where

Date: 04/30/16 17:28
When & where
Author: Ardenwood

I took these in the last century.  The train was coming back from 100 Mile House and the next stop is Squamish.  Could someone help me date this?  The second picture is the same train going up.

Date: 05/01/16 11:19
Re: When & where
Author: hoggerdoug

Not sure, there was some excursion fall of 1988 that the 3716 did. Can't recall if there was a double header with the 2860 along the way. Also the 3716 went north to do some filming for the movie "Gray Fox" about Billy Miner the train robber. Your first image is taken at Cheakmus Canyon, second image not sure of, nice image and scenery.  Any date on the slide or negative that you have??
Doug

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/16 11:20 by hoggerdoug.

Date: 05/01/16 15:33
Author: ATSF854

Looks to be at some point during the 1999 25th anniversary runs of the royal hudson judging by the decal in the second image.

https://www.pwrs.ca/announcements/view.php?ID=8511

Date: 05/01/16 17:14

I just dug out what I shot as the train paased a station between Squamish and North Van Couuver.  Thank you guys for you help.

Date: 05/04/16 09:47
Author: Helo-Mech

Last shot looks to be at Porteau Cove. The road there for the park / campground has some of those concrete barricades between it and the rail grade. Background foliage looks about right too. The 25th anniversary logo would have been 1999 or later. Very nice shot of the 3716 on the 56.6 mile bridge! With some of the dinner train cars in the train too. Very cool.

Mike N.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 05/04/16 15:57

I just dug up another shot.  This has the date of October 24, 1988 near Hicks, British Columbia.  So this must be the doubleheader mentioned by hoggerdoug.  I remember an enginneer was on the running board of the first engine to fix something.  The second and third shot were of one and the same trip but not the same as the four-car train that ATSF854 identifies, because I was on it, not following it.  The location of the third shot was indeed Porteau Cove (now it rings a bell) as identified by HeloMech.  I am very thankful to all of you for your kind help.  Now I am still wondering when the first was taken. 

Date: 05/07/16 14:00
Author: sarailfan

The first shot is in the Cheakamus River canyon as mentioned by Doug. That shot just above this reply looks like it may be closer to Hixon BC, in Central BC on the BCR. Hicks was a station on CN's mainline in the Fraser River canyon just above Hope, and the scenery definitely doesn't match the picture!

Darren Boes
Lethbridge, AB
Southern Alberta Railfan

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0328 seconds