Home Open Account Help 344 users online

Canadian Railroads > Dinner in the Diner Nothing can be Finer on the Canadian

Date: 05/25/16 21:09
Dinner in the Diner Nothing can be Finer on the Canadian
Author: edsaalig

I'm leaving June 3 from Vancourver on the Canadian for the first time Prestiges Class.  What's the best time for diner on the second night and what's the best on the menu?  On the first full day what time should I be in the dome ready to take pictures?  Thanks for any "headsup" as to what to watch for.  I'll post photos when I come back.

Date: 05/26/16 03:19
Re: Dinner in the Diner Nothing can be Finer on the Canadian
Author: andersonb109

It will stay light until about 10:00P with a very early sunrise as you will be near the longest day of the year and far north. Be in the dome departing Kamlooops. I normally travel in winter so it's always dark even during the first dinner sitting. That said, once you depart Jasper, it doesn't matter too much when you eat but I find first less crowded and of course there is no risk of them running out of your chosen entree (although unlike Amtrak, I've never know that to happen).  I don't recall which entrees are served on which nights. Everything is cooked on board so it's a matter of personal taste. That said, the Prime Rib and pan fried fish are my two favorites but menus vary depending on the direction of travel.  Hopefully you will have Haley in the Park Car. She is an excellent attendant and fun to travel with. She is Winnipeg crew and works from Winnipeg to Toronto.

Date: 05/26/16 07:29
Author: DrawingroomA

andersonb109 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It will stay light until about 10:00P with a very
> early sunrise as you will be near the longest day
> of the year and far north. Be in the dome
> departing Kamlooops. I normally travel in winter
> so it's always dark even during the first dinner
> sitting. That said, once you depart Jasper, it
> doesn't matter too much when you eat but I find
> first less crowded and of course there is no risk
> of them running out of your chosen entree
> (although unlike Amtrak, I've never know that to
> happen).  I don't recall which entrees are served
> on which nights. Everything is cooked on board so
> it's a matter of personal taste. That said, the
> Prime Rib and pan fried fish are my two favorites
> but menus vary depending on the direction of
> travel.  Hopefully you will have Haley in the
> Park Car. She is an excellent attendant and fun to
> travel with. She is Winnipeg crew and works from
> Winnipeg to Toronto.

Yes, you will be fortunate if Haley is the Park car attendant - or concierge as VIA now calls them.  She is indeed one of the best.

Normally in peak season there are three sittings for dinner: 5:00, 7:00 and 9:00.  The number of passengers usually drops significantly between May and early June because  the summer fares start on the 1st of June. I see that your departure has the full range of berths available - at least six berths in each accommodation type. I travelled from Vancouver to Toronto in early June last year.  Lunch and dinner were served in two sittings throughout because of the light load.  As you probably know, Prestige passengers get preferred choice of sitting.

My favourite meal of the whole trip was the rack of lamb.  Although I can't be certain, I believe that was at dinner leaving Jasper. (Sorry, I should remember because I made the same trip again just a few weeks ago.)  I have the same opinion as "andersonb109" regarding the prime rib and the fish. 

Date: 05/26/16 09:43
Author: ghCBNS

Other excellent concierges are Daniel and Marilyn.

I’ve run into Daniel before. He was working the diner west out of Winnipeg a couple of years ago. When everyone was seated at the first call to lunch after the crew change….he blew one of those souvenir VIA whistles…then introduced the new crew and had the chef even stick his head out of the door. A nice touch…..and just an enjoyable atmosphere in the diner and everywhere else on the train.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/16 09:44 by ghCBNS.

Date: 05/26/16 11:26

The longest Canadian I have seen so far this year arrived in Toronto today at about 9:00 a.m., 30 minutes early.

In addition to the usual 10 Manor sleepers and two Prestige Château sleepers and Park car, there were five regular Château sleepers. They were between sleepers 216 and 220.

Except for the locomotives, the same consist is going out tonight as #1.  The five Château sleepers will be deadhead although left in the same position in the consist. I was told some of them may be in service from Jasper to Vancouver.

Date: 05/26/16 15:45
Author: yarrow

canadian lake trout for a dinner and eggs benedict for the day brunch is served

Date: 05/26/16 16:33

Thank you "yarrow" for the idea.  This is the rack of lamb, cooked medium rare, as promised on the menu.

Date: 05/26/16 21:30

Great looking food!  I can hardly wait!

Date: 05/27/16 07:33
Author: 4489

For us purists one does not eat in a diner on a train.  One eats in a Dining Car, and for the real purists VIA's Dining Cars were originally called Dining Room Cars.

Date: 05/27/16 10:46
Author: yarrow

and in the cpr 1955 publicity film introducing "the canadian" they were referred to as "dining room cars with a difference".  the difference was supposed to be and is obvious to those who travel "the canadian"

Date: 05/27/16 20:58

What is the location of car 230 room F in relation to the the dining car room.?

Date: 05/28/16 04:22

edsaalig Wrote:
> What is the location of car 230 room F in relation
> to the the dining car room.?

From the consists I have seen recently the dining room car is immediately ahead of car 230. Room F is at the front of the sleeper, so you couldn't be closer.

Date: 05/28/16 04:34

4489 Wrote:
> For us purists one does not eat in a diner on a
> train.  One eats in a Dining Car, and for the
> real purists VIA's Dining Cars were originally
> called Dining Room Cars.

Originally, Canadian Pacific called them "Deluxe Dining Room Cars." VIA kept the names of the cars as they were originally.  The names refer to elegant dining rooms in Canadian Pacific hotels as of 1955.

When I look at the names of the 13 remaining dining cars (out of 18) most of the hotels no longer exist or the dining rooms have been downgraded to bistros with a new name. The latest casualty is the Empress Room.  The Empress Hotel in Victoria has kept its name but Fairmont has renamed the lovely Empress Room  "Q" as of June.  The Imperial Room at the Royal York in Toronto has kept its name, but it is a function room, open to the public only one day a year: Christmas.

Date: 05/28/16 13:12
Author: jbwest

My only complaint about the dining room cars on the Canadian is the 4x4 seating.  I find the tables quite crowded with four people.  While I would not suggest the food compares, the 4x2 seating in the Renaissance equipment is actually more comfortable for two people.  I would think that one of the perks that VIA might consider for Prestige customers might be the option of two at a table.  One of the things I really enjoy about the Pacific Parlor Car on the Starlight is their 2x2 seating for meals.

JBWX

Date: 05/30/16 11:26
Author: joemvcnj

The REN cars are narrower too ?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0518 seconds