Home Open Account Help 339 users online

Canadian Railroads > I'd Like Your Help Again

Date: 05/27/16 19:49
I'd Like Your Help Again
Author: MartyBernard

My friend Roger Puta wrote nothing on these two slides. They were probably taken the same day maybe within minutes of each other.   The processor's date is October 1980.  Any information to fill out the captions will be appreciatered.  Any idea what that shinny L shaped object next to the signal is?

Thanks for any help,
Marty Bernard

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/16 17:44 by MartyBernard.

Date: 05/27/16 20:14
Re: I'd Like Your Help Again
Author: kgmontreal

The first image is an eastbound Montreal commuter train approaching Brucy (now Ile Perrot) Quebec. The second appears to be on the CN along the shore of Lake Ontario east of Toronto.  The shiny L-shaped object is a switch heater.

KG

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/16 20:15 by kgmontreal.

Date: 05/27/16 21:05

That was quick.  Thannks.  So that shin is the stack (exhaust) on a propane heater?

Date: 05/28/16 03:44
Author: JPB

And the CP commuter train is headed east into the morning sun while the lake view depicts setting sun in the late afternoon? The lake picture looks really cold and windy.

Date: 05/28/16 03:45
Author: kgmontreal

So that shiny thing is the
> stack (exhaust) on a propane heater?

There are different types of switch heaters:  propane, natural gas, electric as well as high velocity air blowers that don't heat but blow so hard that snow cannot settle on the switch.  I don't know enough about switch heater/blowers to say which type is in the photo.

KG

Date: 05/28/16 11:43
Author: monaddave

MartyBernard Wrote:
>>So that shin is the stack (exhaust) on a propane heater?<<

​Switch heater yes, but the tall part is a snorkle in case the snow gets deep.
​Dave in Msla, MT

Date: 05/28/16 13:47

Dave, that make sense.  Does it also have a tube for input air?

Marty

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0396 seconds