Home Open Account Help 292 users online

Canadian Railroads > Radio monitoring

Date: 09/15/16 16:32
Radio monitoring
Author: sandy126

I am taking VIA 1 in a few weeks to Vancouver and need some guidance about how to find frequencies to monitor along the way West. Any help would be appreciated. I found the Tech thread a bit confusing. I have a scanner.., Bearcat 125.

thanks for any guidance.

Date: 09/15/16 20:07
Re: Radio monitoring
Author: LKeithR

The attached image shows the frequencies I have programmed into my scanner.  I'm in the B.C. lower mainland so some--BC Rail, SRY, BNSF--will not be applicable everywhere but the CN and CP frequencies pretty much repeat right across the country.  I pick up most CN and CP stuff whether I'm in B.C., Alberta or Saskatchewan.  There may be some localized frquencies I'm missing but I don't think there's too much.  The Canadian Trackside Guide lists active frequencies for all the CN and CP subs...

Keith Robertson
Langley, BC

Date: 09/16/16 10:59

Thank you very much... Tried to get the Trackside Guide but it seems to be sold out.... Know any where to get one?

Date: 09/16/16 12:31
Author: espee51

My wife and I rode #2 Vancouver to Toronto in June 2015.  Looking through the frequencies I had programmed in my scanner, I believe that 160.725 was used for Via on-board communications, i.e. among the train crew.

We had a great trip---hope you do too!

Date: 09/16/16 16:53

Thanks so much for the assistance..

Date: 09/17/16 19:02
Author: BobB

Google is your friend.  There is still a limited supply of the 2014 trackside guide available.  It's unlikely that there have been major changes in the last two years.

http://www.bytownrailwaysociety.ca/index.php/sales-desk/canadian-trackside-guide

Date: 09/20/16 06:15

Thanks for the suggestion... so far i cant locate one. If anyone has recently taken VIA 1 i would appreciate some freguencies to listen in on when i take it in early October.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0356 seconds