Home Open Account Help 359 users online

Canadian Railroads > VIA #1 Canadian Crazy Consist

Date: 10/15/16 09:30
VIA #1 Canadian Crazy Consist
Author: teebone

Hello we're travelling on #1 next week.  We were originally assigned to car 115, then moved to 114 without requesting it.  VIA told us car 115 was removed, as were some other cars.  Agent told us after car 114 is now car 120.  Does this make any sense?  If they remove cars, they don't change the sequential numbering to reflect and instead leave numbering gaps like that?  Thanks.

Date: 10/16/16 05:13
Re: VIA #1 Canadian Crazy Consist
Author: DrawingroomA

Even with the full summer consist there is a gap in numbering. VIA keeps the rear-most sleepers (excluding Prestige) as cars 20, 21, 22. So the average peak consist of 10 Manor sleepers is numbered 10 through 16 with the next cars being 20, 21, 22. Extra sleepers, which of necessity will be Chateau-series, will be 17, 18, 19, 23, 24 as required. The logic of keeping the last three sleepers as 20, 21, 22 was to assure passengers of their location in the train. Until this season those three sleepers were behind the last dining car. Now they are ahead with the Prestige sleepers (30, 31) being behind the dining car. I have a trip booked in late November. At the time of booking there were only three Manor sleepers in the consist: 10, 11, 12.

Removing sleepers from the consist can cause considerable annoyance to passengers who have booked specific accommodation. Several years ago I booked the popular Cabin "F" for relatives. Their sleeper was removed from the consist and they were re-assigned to a sleeper in which room "F" was not available. On another trip friends booked a cabin for 3 (previously known as a drawing room) in a Chateau sleeper for their family of three. Two weeks before the trip their sleeper was withdrawn and they were re-assigned to a cabin for 2 and a cabin for 1 in a Manor sleeper.

Date: 10/17/16 14:30
Re: VIA #1 Canadian Crazy Consist
Author: sandy126

I rode #1 arriving in Vancouver this past Saturday. It was the last high season consist. Much smaller train in off season. I rode Prestige which was excellent in all respects. Was a great trip thru some snow around Edmonton and the entrance to the Rockies. Departed on time in Toronto and arrived in Vancouver about thirty minutes late. All in all a great trip, hope yours will be as well.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 1.248 seconds