Home Open Account Help 335 users online

Canadian Railroads > MLW Monday

Date: 10/17/16 14:10
MLW Monday
Author: Lerchy

Some pictures taken at MLW in 1969-1970  showing M-636 4715 just outside the MLW gate and about to be delivered to the CPR and  M-630 4551 on MLW property.  The last shot is an ALCO built RS-27 but I'm not sure of its history but I'm sure someone on TO will know. 

Neil Compton
Calgary, AB

Date: 10/17/16 14:48
Re: MLW Monday
Author: zartok-35

That paint job on 4551 practically foreshadows the 1987 removal of the Multimark.

Date: 10/17/16 15:30
Author: CPR_4000

I think the 676 was ex-UP.

Date: 10/17/16 15:39
Author: kgmontreal

MLW bought three RS-27 units from the UP.  From them MLW made two running units which were painted in a "heritage" Roberval & Saguenay maroon and silver colour scheme and sent to the R&S in compensation for the delayed delivery of the M-420TR units.  When the M-420TR units were delivered, the RS-27's were returned to MLW which then sent them out to the BCOL as leasers.  Whether BCOL paid to lease them or got them for free in compensation for late deliveries of M-630 units I'm not sure.

When BCOL finished with them they returned to Montreal and were repainted green and sold to Devco on Cape Breton.  They ran for several years there before their lives ended and were scrapped by Devco.

KG

Date: 10/17/16 16:12
Author: hoggerdoug

Somewhere, somewhere in my mind and images I have a slide or picture of two of those UP units moving eastward on the CN at the York Rd overpass a few miles west of Bayview Jct.  Argh, wish I could find it to post with this thread.  Doug

Date: 10/18/16 17:01
Author: hoggerdoug

hoggerdoug Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Somewhere, somewhere in my mind and images I have
> a slide or picture of two of those UP units moving
> eastward on the CN at the York Rd overpass a few
> miles west of Bayview Jct.  Argh, wish I could
> find it to post with this thread.  Doug

And so there they are,  eastbound train #496 from Sarnia to Toronto, CN 4512, 5020, with UP 676, 675 dead in tow at York Road on the CN Dundas Sub May 8, 1971. Ah, it was a grey afternoon and a black and white film, a great CNR olive & yellow, black & red, with UP armour yellow. We were young then and invincible with our Instamatic's and "in the basement" photo labs.  Photo taken by Peter Bradford, train info from Bruce Mercer, and I was just an observer that day, forty five years later scanning a black & white image in colour mode.  Go figure eh!!.  Doug

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0454 seconds