Home Open Account Help 346 users online

Canadian Railroads > The "Rupert Rocket" at Prince Rupert 1979

Date: 10/24/16 21:31
The "Rupert Rocket" at Prince Rupert 1979
Author: photobob

The "Rupert Rocket " has just arrived from Jasper.

Robert Morris Photography

Date: 10/24/16 22:13
Re: The "Rupert Rocket" at Prince Rupert 1979
Author: PennRailVideos

Check out those "plug-in" ditch lights!

Date: 10/25/16 03:35
Author: kgmontreal

Rupert with no rain and the sun shining!  A miracle.  Although it looks like it had recently rained judging by the water on the platform.

KG

Date: 10/25/16 09:26
Author: eminence_grise

Interesting to note the row of CN refridgerator cars in the background.  Prince Rupert is an important fishing port and back in the day, fish were shipped by rail. 

​For many years, there was a large ice house and packing plant across the tracks from the station. In fact, it was built just prior to the arrival of the Grand Trunk Pacific and the owner of the plant, who was also mayor of Prince Rupert had been selected to lead the "Welcome Party" for the first GTP passenger train to arrive at Prince Rupert.

​He was delayed with business inside the packing house, and had to rush out a back door to greet the train.

Sadly, he rushed out the door straight into the path of the oncoming train, and was killed instantly.

Date: 10/25/16 09:53
Author: TCnR

Also note the steam generator car, the F-unit does not have a steam generator.

Is the area to the left side a TOF loading ramp? I note what appears to be overhead lighting hung by wore across multiple tracks, kinda typical of such a ramp 'in the day'.

Date: 10/25/16 10:41
Author: joemvcnj

Is the station platform still wood planks ?

Date: 10/25/16 11:47

TCnR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Also note the steam generator car, the F-unit does
> not have a steam generator.
>
> Is the area to the left side a TOF loading ramp? I
> note what appears to be overhead lighting hung by
> wore across multiple tracks, kinda typical of such
> a ramp 'in the day'.

Until the 1980's, the former GTP had many miles of light rail.  It was serviced using CN's fleet of rebuilt F-units, and lightweight GP-9's with flexi-coil trucks.
​Freights used multiple F units and the "Rupert Rocket" used a single CN F unit.

Later, with the advent of export coal from Tumbler Ridge BC, heavier rail and CTC was applied.

Date: 10/25/16 14:02
Author: hoggerdoug

And , March 1982, my view of the "Skeena", train #9 ?? ready to depart Edmonton west to Prince Rupert. I am not sure where along the way it became the "Rupert Rocket"?? Perhaps Jasper or Prince George, sometimes crews in Edmonton referred to it as the Rupert Rocket. I knew some of the Via on board staff, it was a long trip for them, Edmonton to Prince Rupert and return.  Doug

Date: 10/25/16 14:09
Author: xcnsnake

Great photos!   

hoggerdoug, all that downtown Edmonton trackage of course gone and the 6515 would be about 50 car lengths from what is centre ice at the new Rogers Place arena:)

Date: 10/25/16 14:14
Author: Jimbo

joemvcnj Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is the station platform still wood planks ?

This was the old station, no longer used.  The present station is at the ferry terminal, less than one kilometer south (east).  Don't remember if the present platform is concrete or asphalt.

Date: 10/25/16 16:53

When the aluminum plant and hydro project were built at Kitimat, CN built a branch from Terrace and changed the crew districts. Terrace became a crew base and Prince Rupert was gradually phased out as a crew base. Prior to that, I believe Pacific was the away from home terminal for Smithers and Prince Rupert crews.

During the phase out period, the engine house and other facilities were removed.

​Since then, there is a new grain terminal, coal port and container ship terminal,meaning Prince Rupert has more facilities than it did in the 1980's.

Date: 10/25/16 18:31
Author: pummer

VIA (Skeena or train #6) boarding at Prince Rupert in 2011

Date: 10/27/16 16:47
Author: hoggerdoug

on another board, is this the same 9177  as pictured in the image starting this thread ??  Doug
http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?2,4149622 second image down.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/16 16:48 by hoggerdoug.

Date: 10/27/16 17:01
Author: wmshawk

Sharp eye and a great memory to connect the 2 images!

Date: 10/28/16 00:29
Author: jp1822

When the "touring season" is over, I often wonder if this train would have greater ridership if it ran straight through like it used to with a sleeper, as opposed to stopping off for the overnight at Prince George. Kinda really makes it into two trains I would think (for the non-touring folks).

And I wish they would get this train's termins/origin flipped back to Edmonton or Vancouver. Someone can correct me but I am pretty sure the equipment is based out of Vancouver. Not sure if the Chief of Onboard Services is too. Seems that I recall seeing the one Chief in Vancouver after meandering between Prince Rupert, Jasper and eventually Vancouver.

This train has had Vancouver and Edmonton as its terminus/origin. 

Spectacular route during daylight though - the Skeena, "Rupert Rocket" etc.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0583 seconds