Home Open Account Help 344 users online

Canadian Railroads > Dispatcher's Dance and Photographer's Delight at Heath, AB

Date: 02/12/17 17:35
Dispatcher's Dance and Photographer's Delight at Heath, AB
Author: feclark

Last week I posted up a few photos of my first exposure to Heath, Alberta, MP 127.8 on the Wainwright Sub, and east of Wainwright, which is MP 140.0
http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?15,4219246
My buddy and I had longed to return, which we did at the end of June this past year (2016). These shots are from Friday, July 1, 2016. The plan for almost a year had been to get late day sun around the longest day of the year, on the north side of the tracks, which run NE-SW as they cross Highway 610. After a couple of intermittently frustrating days in the area, the afternoon of the third day came through for us, as the clouds departed, and CN ran trains. The dispatcher had to move two EB and four WB east of Wainwright, so the dance unfolded as follows. The shooters start off on a grassy knoll, just east of Highway 610, seen in the first photo.
1. Step 1 was to get #312, behind 2880 and 2645, down the main and up to the east switch at Heath. Heath is 11,410' long, and although it was common to see EB hold the main and WB use the siding, this was not always the case, so we were happy to see this choice on the dispatcher's part, meaning the WB would not be blocked for photos. The time was 1856, and total axles were 432, mostly auto racks and bulkhead lumber flats.
2. Step 2 was to run #347, perhaps my favourite train, into the siding (north track). Pulled by 2617 and 2654, this "unit train" of empty centre-beam bulkhead lumber flats arrived at 1915. One of the St. Patrick Lakes is in the background. There is nothing like being trackside when this one comes by you at speed; it generates quite the breeze. Having cleared the east switch, this freed up #312 to head east to the next siding, Dunn, which is 12,392' long. I don't know if it took siding or held the main for its next three meets.
3. Step 3 was to get #114, behind 8870, 5789, and 2302, down the main at Heath, up to the east switch and clear of the west switch, to allow #347 to get to Wainwright, as well as the other 3 WB to follow. It arrived at 1922, and again, held the main, without which the photos of #315 and #115 would not have been possible. You need luck, you really do. The dance continues on the follow-up "reply".

Date: 02/12/17 17:53
Re: Dispatcher's Dance and Photographer's Delight at Heath, AB

4. The meet shoots nicely, the crew of #347 doing the PK for #114, which has 514 total axles, well cars, covered hoppers, and tanks. The light is strong and perfect, and the lake is doing its thing as a backdrop.
5. For step 4, #347 pulls out at 1934. I've run into position, after warning my companions that if they appear over the knoll and end up in my shot, they will be dead. I've waited a long time for this shot, and it's everything I've dreamed it could be and more. Lead unit 2617 throws up a plume, the fence looks great, and with nose door closed and all lights on, it pulls into the sun, through the west switch and on to Wainwright. I could die a happy man at this point, but there's more to come.
6. The pair of EB have lots of time to cool their heels. Step 5 is the arrival of #315 at 1958, behind 8864 and IC 1015. There are 610 axles, mostly auto racks plus mixed freight. The photographic necessity of having the EB on the main is apparent in this shot; the crossing with Range Road 50 is visible in the background. This was dream photo number two at this location, and you can only get this light on long summer days when the sun stays up long enough. It's been 24 minutes since #347 pulled out, and we don't really know how long until the third of the four WB is going to appear. But it's just after June 21, and we have light to spare. In driving in to "North Heath", we've seen a dip in the rolling terrain that will give us a good shot, only because the sun stays up so long. So on to the next "Reply" and the end of this post.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/17 21:55 by feclark.

Date: 02/12/17 17:59

7. This is sort of a throw-away shot, but one that gives you an idea of the area. CN had Pettibone on the spur, so it crowded this shot, but you can see the terrain quite nicely. This is the third WB, #115, behind 2241, 8951, 8007, and 8854, with 460 axles of stack train at 2034, a full 36 minutes later.
8. This is the shot we wanted, again with St. Patrick Lakes in the background, and #115 holding the main, behind it. The white wrap on the lumber car helped out, and it was real scrunchy with four diesels, but it worked out very nicely. Again, much earlier or later in the year, and the sun is down or the shadows are killing the tracks. There is a fourth WB to come, but by this time, not knowing if it's going to be another half-hour plus, we decide we need to eat (it's after 2130 when we do) and hit the sack. A day doesn't end any better than this. Hope you enjoyed, and maybe Heath will enjoy a surge in tourism this coming summer.
Fred

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/17 21:50 by feclark.

[img::]https://cdn.trainorders.com/attachments/thumbs/1168000/DSC_0970_Rotated.JPG[/img]

Date: 02/12/17 18:26
Author: goneon66

great pics in some great scenery.  i have a dispatching sim of the wainright sub and now i know what the heath area looks like.  thanks for the pics........

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0724 seconds