Home Open Account Help 341 users online

Canadian Railroads > Rocky Mountaineer repair facility

Date: 02/21/17 09:54
Rocky Mountaineer repair facility
Author: hoggerdoug

A question from elsewhere, where does Rocky Mountaineer do maintenance and repairs to the coaches and locomotives. I know there is or was some RMR service / repair facility in Kamloops BC at the CN yard. Just wondering how extensive of repairs and rebuilding could Rocky Mountaineer staff & shops do before it would have to be done elsewhere. Where would a locomotive heavy repair be done.
Thanks for any info.    Doug

Date: 02/21/17 10:34
Re: Rocky Mountaineer repair facility
Author: LKeithR

I'm not sure about heavy engine repair but as far as I know everything else is done at Kamloops.  They've got a pretty good sized
facility up on the northeast corner of the CN yard and that's where all the equipment sits when on layover or not in use.  There's a
5-track yard that can probably handle up to about 70 cars.  The main building is about 25,000 sq. ft., a second one is about
13,000 sq. ft. and there are a couple smaller buildings as well as a covered wash rack...

Keith Robertson
Langley, BC

Date: 02/21/17 11:12
Author: hoggerdoug

Keith, thanks for the reply.  Perhaps I could re-word my question.  What is the capacity or limit of the RMR for repairs and rebuilds, before it has to be outsourced, including passenger equipment and locomotives?? Where would they outsource to??  thanks, Doug

Date: 02/21/17 12:20
Author: algoma11

I know RMR is having coaches refurbished at the Ontario Northland shops in North Bay Ontario.
​The Gold Leaf coaches as part of a 4 yr contract.

Mike Bannon
St Catharines, ON

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/17 12:23 by algoma11.

Date: 02/21/17 13:58
Author: eminence_grise

Rocky did many of the car refurbishments at Lorne Street in downtown Kamloops, out in the open with tarps covering some equipment.

When they moved to the new facility at Kamloops Junction, work was also carried out in the open or in a large tent until the shop building and office building and warehouse were completed.

​Their catering facility is based in Valleyview, east of Kamloops 

Date: 02/21/17 16:53
Author: cn6218

When I was in New Richmond, QC last winter there were a couple RMR coaches at Gaspésie Diesel having work done.  I assume the work must have been quite extensive to justify sending them to the other side of the country.

GTD

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0337 seconds