Home Open Account Help 306 users online

Canadian Railroads > Some BCOL Leading and Trailing on the Edson Sub

Date: 04/22/17 14:22
Some BCOL Leading and Trailing on the Edson Sub
Author: feclark

Working on some of last year's railfanning, I thought hoggerdoug in particular would enjoy these shots from 2016.
1. This is #191 behind CN 5752 and BCOL 4613 on the south track at Carvel, AB, skirting Mink Lake; the standing train on the north track is #412, and these are one half of a Carvel Quad, of which I've posted a couple in the past. The date is May 2, so just a couple of weeks later in the year than my foggy day post of yesterday. The snow was gone by the end of February last year, and it didn't rain for ages. The time is 0809, temperature is 13 degrees, 556 axles, 44 mph at the next detector; lens set at 18 mm.
2. Pulling in the power at 55 mm; this field would normally be quite sticky; it was like walking on a desert dune.
3. As many shots as I'd taken at Carvel over a span of nearly 20 years, I'd never really explored immediately west of there. So I got back on Township Road 524, went west to a T with Range Road 25, took a right and headed north to the grade crossing that is the cause of horns you hear at Carvel. I didn't really like the view, so backtracked to Twp. Rd. 524A, headed west toward Duffield, and pulled in at Rge. Rd. 30. It used to cross the double track at MP 36.4, but no more, so it's easy to park, and a short walk on an ATV trail, plus some work with a buck saw, opened up the curve from Duffield, still west of here. A pleasant surprise was BCOL 4613 leading CN 5752 on #102 at 1150, 14 degrees, 232 axles (a shorty), at 38 mph. Lens set at 34 mm (about what we used to call 55 mm, the "standard lens" in the old days, and still my favourite). The trees were doing okay by this point, May 13, turning lovely fresh green, with deep enough roots to tap the water. The land drops off quite quickly beyond this point, so working around the curve would prove difficult. There are a couple of nice, open shots to be had between here and Duffield; maybe this year I get them.
Fred

Date: 04/22/17 19:31
Re: Some BCOL Leading and Trailing on the Edson Sub
Author: hoggerdoug

4613 soldiers on, grunge and all.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.037 seconds