Home Open Account Help 358 users online

Canadian Railroads > A Very Late Canadian in the Canyon

Date: 05/17/17 01:55
A Very Late Canadian in the Canyon
Author: cp1400

Via train #1 The Canadian was running over 12 hours late on Monday May 15. This meant the usual nocturnal passage through the Thompson and Fraser River canyons would be in daylight. In addition the reports on this train were that it had two of the Canada 150 decorated engines which would have been a first for BC. Also they were ferrying a Rocky Mountaineer double level car (these are NOT dome cars) to the Rocky facility in Kamloops.

Everything didn't go quite as planned. The decorated 6402 was taken off the train at Winnipeg (but the car trace kept updating as if it was still on the train!). At Kamloops at over 12 hours late it was decided to not take the time to set out the Rocky coach so it stayed on the train all the way to Vancouver and was turned over to Rocky there. In place the 6453 was added to the point at Jasper fresh off duties on the train formerly known as the Skeena. End result was a kind of mish-mash look to the head end of the train on a daylight run in the canyons.

1. I made a point of intercepting the train here at Barriere north of Kamloops to get a few pictures of the RMR coach in the consist.

2. Approaching Exlou siding along the North Thompson River.

3. On to double track west of Vinsulla on the approach to Kamloops.

cp1400

Date: 05/17/17 01:59
Re: A Very Late Canadian in the Canyon

4. One of the bucket list items I had for years was to catch the Canadian in the Black Canyon of the Thompson River. This is the second time now for me but the light could have been better. Still one of the premier canyon shots in North America.

5. Thompson River Canyon near Spences Bridge.

6. Thompson Canyon at Morris siding.

cp1400

Date: 05/17/17 02:06

7. Into the White Canyon of the Thompson River nearing Lasha. Another candidate for premier photo location in North America.

8. Exit the tunnel at MP 120 CN Ashcroft Sub and over Ainsle Creek with the train now in the Fraser River Canyon.

9. Kootenay Park brings up the markers across Anderson River west of Boston Bar.

I hope you enjoy this look at a usually rare occurrence for Via #1 in daylight in the canyon. Although I hear this coming Sat May 20 may have a second crack at a 12+ hour late train.

cp1400

Date: 05/17/17 02:45
Author: ghCBNS

Just Awesome!!.....Thanks

Date: 05/17/17 03:10
Author: andersonb109

Looks like only two Skylines in the consist for sleepers. A long walk to a dome for some passengers near the center of the train. Why anyone would take this train during peak season is beyond me. Way too crowded with tourists and nearly double the price of off season. Winter sees a very pleasant 10 or so cars with many passengers, mostly Canadians, using the train for it's intended purpose, getting from point A to B, not just a joy ride. BTW. compare paint schemes. The Rocky is still among the worst.

Date: 05/17/17 03:21
Author: kgmontreal

Gorgeous stuff.

KG

Date: 05/17/17 03:52
Author: DrawingroomA

andersonb109 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Looks like only two Skylines in the consist for
> sleepers. A long walk to a dome for some
> passengers near the center of the train. Why
> anyone would take this train during peak season is
> beyond me. Way too crowded with tourists and
> nearly double the price of off season. Winter sees
> a very pleasant 10 or so cars with many
> passengers, mostly Canadians, using the train for
> it's intended purpose, getting from point A to B,
> not just a joy ride. BTW. compare paint schemes.
> The Rocky is still among the worst.

Thank you cp1400 for posting these fabulous photos.

Recent consists and photos have shown the first Skyline/diner pair at the front of the sleeper section. For the past several years they have been after the third sleeper. Also, in previous years the Panorama car has been closer to the centre of the train. As andersonb109 said, this does make for a long walk to a dome for many passengers.

Many people have no choice but to take their annual leave in peak season. I'm fortunate that I can travel any time I choose. I no longer like mid-winter trips, mainly because of the lack of light and having to deal with mounds of ice and snow in vestibules and frozen showers. The last time I travelled in January there was daylight in the west only from 09:00 to 16:00. Although crowded and pricey, summer-season travel offers passengers the opportunity to see the country. My favourite times to travel on the Canadian are November and late March/early April. Most off-peak trains offer meals in just two sittings. The peak trains require three sittings, with the first sitting for dinner usually 17:00 and the third at 21:00, neither of which appeal to many passengers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/17 03:54 by DrawingroomA.

Date: 05/17/17 04:17
Author: joemvcnj

Looks a little like western Colorado or Utah.

Date: 05/17/17 07:45
Author: tomstp

Simply beautiful shots. Thanks for posting these.

Date: 05/17/17 08:19
Author: TCnR

Great locations. Good timing and detective work.

Date: 05/17/17 09:05
Author: 3rdswitch

What an outstanding bunch! Second only to Auto Train in length, amazing.
JB

Date: 05/17/17 10:13
Author: feclark

I know the locations, but I certainly have never seen the Canadian in daylight here. Terrific that you had time and freedom to use this opportunity. Extremely well done. Any idea of the elapsed time between the first and last photos?
Fred

Date: 05/17/17 12:02

feclark Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I know the locations, but I certainly have never
> seen the Canadian in daylight here. Terrific that
> you had time and freedom to use this opportunity.
> Extremely well done. Any idea of the elapsed time
> between the first and last photos?
> Fred

It was 6 hours 40 minutes and 250 miles between the first and last shots posted in this series.

As a follow up here's a picture of train #2 departing Vancouver on Tuesday May 16. They positioned two of the Canada 150 wrapped engines for this trip which was the first in BC to do so. And I didn't have to drive 600 miles to see it!

cp1400

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/17 16:21 by cp1400.

Date: 05/18/17 07:17
Author: WP17

Wow -- what a pleasure to wake up this morning (incidentally on the AAPRCO trip to Kansas City) and see such amazing photos. Awesome!!!

WP17

Date: 05/18/17 08:35
Author: viatrainrider

Great photos! THANKS for making the effort! 250 miles is a long chase! As an off season rider of this train, agree with all Anderson said.

Posted from Android

Date: 05/18/17 20:21
Author: jp1822

Couldn't VIA TRY to fix the consist that was mentioned with the Skylines and Panorama cars being bunched up in the front of the train with a Skyline and Park Car all the way at the far end leaving passengers in the middle with a long walk to get to a car with a "view."

On the other hand - what a great consist! Lots of high-end revenue if this train runs near capacity!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0913 seconds