Home Open Account Help 372 users online

Canadian Railroads > VIA Canadian - Smokin' Late on Sunday at Lindbrook

Date: 05/23/17 11:07
VIA Canadian - Smokin' Late on Sunday at Lindbrook
Author: feclark

Sunday morning, May 21, I was out at Lindbrook on the Wainwright Sub setting up for what I hoped would be two WB meeting #806 with grain empties (the RTC had indicated as such to #806 as it came through Bremner). Continued chatter, also involving oil train #760 that had passed through not much earlier, indicated that #199 and #761 were on the way. I heard someone calling "Clear to and at Tofield", so I set up with the longer lens, just west of the grade crossing with Range Road 194, to get the going-away shot of #199 passing the signals and 8925 on the point of #806 at East Switch Lindbrook. So far so good, then all heck broke loose.
1. In spite of all the talk I heard on the scanner, I never caught the fact that VIA's #1 was the next train through, not even calling the approach to Lindbrook. In hindsight, I wonder if I just was lazy in listening, or its brief snatches got lost, or what. Anyway, as it popped around the corner, I quickly changed position and focal length and shot the onrushing Canadian as it bore down on the grade crossing at 1116, running a bit over 5 hours late (due in at 0622). The one saving grace is that this location has a very brief stretch of track that is almost E-W, rather than the usual SE-NW that prevails east of Edmonton and makes mid to late morning WB run out of the sun and horrid for shooting. At least I got flank light; lens set at 65 mm.
2. Having quickly shifted footing to get the approach shot, I now had a bush between me and #806, but I had to take the shot for the signals, plus the pall of smoke that #1 was laying down. Lens set at 200 mm.
3. Too good a chance to pass up, I shifted right a half-step to clear out the signals and #806, with enough time to catch the passenger power covering the crew on the ground, doing the PK, with smoke; lens at 102 mm. One more shot to come.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/17 21:26 by feclark.

Date: 05/23/17 11:11
Re: VIA Canadian - Smokin' Late on Sunday at Lindbrook

4. To conclude, how could I not shoot the Park car passing the signals and waiting freight? Lens set at 165 mm. The switch is at MP 230; the detector at 233.7 announced 19 degrees, 104 total axles (thus a 23-car train, with absolutely nothing out of the ordinary about it), and 66 mph. Honorary Alcos that day. By the way, the two expected WB showed up shortly thereafter, with the RTC thanking them for letting him hold them up to run the VIA around them. Who says they're not hustling the Canadian (just kidding; don't bother with an unnecessary rant - I have been paying attention)?
Fred

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/17 11:16 by feclark.

Date: 05/23/17 11:16
Author: hoggerdoug

nice images and story with them. "smokin" along, throttle #9. Doug

Date: 05/23/17 12:31
Author: WP17

One slightly unusual aspect of this consist is there is only a single prestige sleeper in addition to the Park car.

Given the fact that this train is running with what looks like a full summer consist, I'm surprised there is only one prestige sleeper. Perhaps one of the TO members who see the train more frequently can advise us whether one sleeper is more common now.

WP17

Date: 05/23/17 13:25

WP17 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> One slightly unusual aspect of this consist is
> there is only a single prestige sleeper in
> addition to the Park car.
>
> Given the fact that this train is running with
> what looks like a full summer consist, I'm
> surprised there is only one prestige sleeper.
> Perhaps one of the TO members who see the train
> more frequently can advise us whether one sleeper
> is more common now.
>
> WP17

When I posted I almost wrote "to my untrained eye" concerning nothing out of the ordinary; I was referring to the fact that there were no wrapped diesels, Rocky Mountaineer coaches, obvious deadheads or what-have-you that have been posted by others lately. Keener eyes than mine have spotted something.
Fred

Date: 05/23/17 13:30
Author: DrawingroomA

WP17 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> One slightly unusual aspect of this consist is
> there is only a single prestige sleeper in
> addition to the Park car.
>
> Given the fact that this train is running with
> what looks like a full summer consist, I'm
> surprised there is only one prestige sleeper.
> Perhaps one of the TO members who see the train
> more frequently can advise us whether one sleeper
> is more common now.
>
> WP17

Two Prestige sleepers are normal since the beginning of the month. There are only eight Prestige Château sleepers, so all are in service. If one goes bad-ordered there could be a problem unless there is a light load. There are two on tonight's #1 from Toronto (#2 hasn't arrived yet so the estimate for departure is midnight). There is only one Prestige room available out of thirteen.

Date: 05/23/17 15:48
Author: tsokolan

Nice shooting Fred! Myself and a friend visiting from Washington caught VIA 1 on the Pembina Bridge at Entwistle that same day.

-Trevor

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/17 15:49 by tsokolan.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0515 seconds