Home Open Account Help 346 users online

Canadian Railroads > Does This Orange Look Right to You?

Date: 05/29/17 15:50
Does This Orange Look Right to You?
Author: MartyBernard

I always though CN noses were redder. The colors on these old Kodachromes of Roger Puta's certainly could have shifted. His caption is:
CN 6780 with Train 49, The Capital, at Ottawa, ON on July 4, 1971.

Enjoy,
Marty Bernard

Date: 05/29/17 16:20
Re: Does This Orange Look Right to You?
Author: trainjunkie

Artificial lighting would shift the hue compared to sunlight.

Date: 05/29/17 16:32

trainjunkie

But the eye adjusts to/compensates for artificial light. Cameras don't. Is this the color Roger saw? I think you are saying no.

Marty

Date: 05/30/17 03:59
Author: ghCBNS

Here's a shot from the same era (Ocean at Truro NS)

Date: 05/30/17 04:46
Author: kgmontreal

Yes, it looks fine to me. The CN diesel loco colour was red-orange. Many colour films and oversaturated digital images make it look too red. Also, there was some variation in paint suppliers that caused somw units to be be redder.

KG

Date: 05/30/17 13:12

ghCBNS

I don't trust the red in the picture you posted. The slide looks to have picked up some pink hue as it aged. This is typical of Ektachrome. Kodachromes tend to get bluish.

Look at the squiggly worm. It's pinkish. So are the white diagonal strips on the side. There is a slight pink in the lower part of the sky. But the dead giveaway is that the ballast is pink.

I appreciate your effort to help, but the nose on that unit is probably too red.

Marty Bernard

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0407 seconds