Home Open Account Help 227 users online

Canadian Railroads > CP in New Brunswick, 1978

Date: 05/30/17 10:36
CP in New Brunswick, 1978
Author: thebluecomet

Following up from my Saint John area images, I stopped in McAdam on June 25, 1978. The train in front of the station is 907.

Date: 05/30/17 10:39
Re: CP in New Brunswick, 1978

Someone told me ages ago what the # 22 was, but I've long forgotten. What type of service would CP have used that unit on? And where?

Date: 05/30/17 10:45

Something different here. I have two old Official Railway Guides. One is from October 1953 and the other from December 1963.
Pic # 1 is from the '63 guide and shows the map page of CP's eastern lines.
Pic # 2 is from the 1953 edition. Note carefully all of the mixed trains listed (denoted by the M).
Pic # 3 is from the 1963 edition and as you can see things are significantly different.

Date: 05/30/17 10:49

In no particular order, here are a few CP stations along the line running north from McAdam toward Edmundston.
Pic#1 is Canterbury.
Pic#2 is Woodstock.
Pic#3 is Aroostook.
All pics from June 1978.

Date: 05/30/17 10:53

Last few here. 8768 is at Aroostook Junction, NB.
Pic #2 here is Grand Falls, NB.
Last pic I almost forgot to include is back at McAdam. The line up of snow plows waiting out the summer.
Again all images from June 1978. Just curious, is this branch still existant today? What would be the status of the depots?

Date: 05/30/17 11:03
Author: loleta

Thanks, these are all great.

- L.F.

Date: 05/30/17 11:45
Author: gcm

A very interesting group of pictures - enjoyed them all.
I especially like all the kerosene switch lamps still in use.
Gary

Date: 05/30/17 11:49
Author: kgmontreal

Fascinating photos. The first one in front of the station is a gem. The little hydraulic switcher was a CLC DT-2, CPR class HS 5.

KG

Date: 05/30/17 12:59
Author: Mberry

Great stuff.

Michael

Date: 05/30/17 13:38
Author: eminence_grise

Woodstock NB was a division point, and at one time had an administration building behind it. Aroostook was a subsidiary terminal to Woodstock. All gone now.

CP also operated its trucking subsidiary, CP Transport, in the Saint John river valley. A friend worked as a truck driver when layed off as a locomotive fireman. Although two different companies, they shared the same pension fund.

In 1975, a friend and I visited with the Woodstock operator, who was the only person on duty after the Divisional office was eliminated.

When the administration office was demolished, someone decided that the employee records needed to be saved and they were placed in the station basement. The station staff dwindled to just the agent/operator and the records were forgotten.

We three railroaders spent an evening reading through the old files, by 1975 , the people discussed were long retired and many had passed on.

As employees, we always wondered what our bosses said about us in the employee records which were not available to us.

There weren't huge secrets in the files we read, some employees were characterized as stupid by their supervisors and others were judged by their faith (CP was Protestant for many years) and the language of their birth. One applicant was denied employment even though his father was of "good character" (read Freemason), but his son was noted for being different as a child.

I have seen much more controversial records from some of the Western Divisions. The place where I worked regularly destroyed most personnel files when they reached the statute of limitation.

Looking at the image of Woodstock station, I can see the back of a truck. CP promoted truck service to replace LCL freight for smaller shipments and where the freight traffic could move more efficiently by truck, sometimes rail service would be downgraded.

I can also see a large freight house beyond the station.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/17 11:50 by eminence_grise.

Date: 05/30/17 15:19
Author: refarkas

Thanks for these historic photos.
Bob

Date: 05/30/17 16:03
Author: feclark

Fascinating stuff; the stairway on the station roof overhang in photo 1 is killer (Stairway to Heaven?), and I love the Rockets in 5" stripes and small Multimark on the cab.
Fred

Date: 06/01/17 14:01
Author: Keough

Worked Woodstock and Canterbury as a relief OPR. Never made it to Aroostook.

Bill

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0528 seconds