Home Open Account Help 318 users online

Canadian Railroads > CP Class Unit

Date: 06/14/17 15:29
CP Class Unit
Author: ns2557

Hey All, I never would have thought I would post to the Canadian Board. I have been a big fan of Canadian Roads since at least the mid 70's. Guess all them MLW/ALCO's really had an effect on me. Tho this isn't in Canada Proper, I thought ya'll might find it interesting none the less. Yesterday, June 13 2017 while passing thru the Davenport Ia area , in particular, Nahant Yard, I happened upon the class unit of CP's GP38 units. Tho this one is classified as a GP38AC, it still falls in the family of -38's. Here is CP 3000 coming in from the south witha cut of about 25 cars of cement products. All loads. As old as this one is, I find it refreshing to see it still working for a living. The "Beaver" scheme, is one that I like, and go out of my way to shoot when I find one, down here south of the border. Thanks for providing this fan a glimpse back in time to "Standard Cabs, Beavers, and local freights." Shot at Davenport Iowa at Nahant Yard on 6-13-2017. Ben

Date: 06/15/17 03:21
Re: CP Class Unit
Author: kgmontreal

I must be getting old. I remember when that unit was delivered.

KG

Date: 06/15/17 16:04
Author: feclark

A nice catch, and thanks for posting. As kg notes, it's been a while since this was a new unit, and although practically speaking it may be an improvement, they looked better with the snow shields behind the cab. Speaking of which, are those long grey "rails" on the cab roof antennae? They remind me of the slightly bulky ones you see on the new GEs, but man, the ones on 3000 are long! Does anyone know what's up?
Fred

Date: 06/17/17 19:11
Author: sarailfan

Those look like PTC antennae, perhaps the cab on the Geeps is a bit smaller than the newer GEs which makes the antenna appear longer?

Darren Boes
Lethbridge, AB
Southern Alberta Railfan

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.055 seconds