Home Open Account Help 307 users online

Canadian Railroads > KPR MLW's near Realm BC in 2001

Date: 07/26/17 16:03
KPR MLW's near Realm BC in 2001
Author: eminence_grise

The Kelowna Pacific Railway was a shortline set up to run CN's Okanagan BC branches. Their initial motive power was a number of ex-CN MLW M420's and a single BBD HR-412, essentially an updated M420.

CN's operations in the Okanagan valley involved substantial and sustained grades, so when KPR took over, lots of motive power was supplied to their trains.

KPR got away from traditional work practices for operating crews, and instead crewed their trains on the basis of three eight hour shifts.

In this case, the northbound Vernon to Kamloops train has just re-crewed. At that time, the tracks from Vernon to Armstrong BC were owned by CP and operated by Omnitrax Okanagan Valley Railway. For many years, train operations in the Okanagan valley were joint CP-CN operations, and the trackage and traffic agreements were perpetuated by the shortlines.

The location is near Realm BC. Decades ago, a baker named Jim Hope from Armstrong would wind down after working all night in the family bakery in Armstrong by taking photographs of trains. There was a steep southbound grade from Armstrong to Realm. Jim would give the CP and CN engine crews baked products if they would promise a spectacular smoke show when they spotted him trackside at Realm.

In time, the KPR MLW's were replaced by EMD's, and a few years ago, the KPR ceased operating and CN took back operations. The former CP tracks over which this train was operating were conveyed to CN when CP and Omnitrax abandoned operations.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/17 16:06 by eminence_grise.

Date: 07/26/17 16:09
Re: KPR MLW's near Realm BC in 2001
Author: kgmontreal

Good shots. Wish I'd got out there to see the M-420s on the KPR.

KG

Date: 07/27/17 20:19
Author: M-420

Very nice, Ken

I DID see the M420s in service on KPR (and on OKAN). I am trying to figure out where this is. It must be north of Armstrong and south of O'Keefe?

Thanks for posting

Brian E

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/17 20:20 by m420.

Date: 07/29/17 17:26
Author: eminence_grise

m420 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Very nice, Ken
>
> I DID see the M420s in service on KPR (and on
> OKAN). I am trying to figure out where this is. It
> must be north of Armstrong and south of O'Keefe?
>
> Thanks for posting
>
> Brian E

South of Armstrong and north of Larkin, that is Highway 97 in the background.

Date: 08/02/17 21:52
Author: spwolfmtn

Another thing now missing on this line which is depicted in those pictures, many loaded woodchip cars...

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0537 seconds