Date: 07/27/17 11:25
Canadian long distance trains now on transitdocs
Author: PennPlat

https://asm.transitdocs.com/

Except the Churchill trains.

Date: 07/27/17 14:13
Re: Canadian long distance trains now on transitdocs
Author: andersonb109

Thanks for this. It will help me know what I'm in for in a few weeks. Note Churchill train is suspended do to track and resulting political issues. So that's why it's not shown.

Date: 07/27/17 15:07
Author: MrGrumpy

Train 1 & 2 now also back on Via Rail Moving Maps.

Cheers,
Dwayne

Date: 07/27/17 17:41

andersonb109 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for this. It will help me know what I'm in
> for in a few weeks. Note Churchill train is
> suspended do to track and resulting political
> issues. So that's why it's not shown.

Have wanted to make Churchill Trip for many a year, right now business issues taking precedent.

Date: 07/28/17 02:47
Author: ghCBNS

andersonb109 Wrote:
> Thanks for this. It will help me know what I'm in
> for in a few weeks. Note Churchill train is
> suspended do to track and resulting political
> issues. So that's why it's not shown.

The Churchill train shows on the map. It is only suspended between Gillam and Churchill. Perhaps when you looked it was a day the train wasn't running.

Also note that as of right-now, Friday AM, neither the Ocean #s 14 or 15 are showing.... but will later today when they begin their runs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/17 02:51 by ghCBNS.

Date: 07/28/17 07:52

Yep, 691 and 692 are shown, 7-28-2017 10:52A EDT

Date: 07/28/17 08:26
Author: andersonb109

Well, No. 1 and 2 are up to their old tricks after a brief period of better time keeping. No. 1 is 5 hour late at Perry Sound. So that probably indicates a late TO departure. VIA needs to have a replacement set (remember the train used to run daily so there must be enough cars around) and crew. Or why not adjust the schedule so No. 1 doesn't leave the same night as arrival. CN needs to be held accountable for it's treatment of this train. VIA should withhold payment by percentage based on the number of hours late excepting for mechanical or non CN related issues. Maybe that would get their attention. And please, I don't want to hear about "more time on the train for me." 4 nights is enough and people do have schedules (such as time off work) to meet. And coach passengers and some in sleepers do still use the train for general transportation. How fun to wait at some platform in BF Ontario for hours not knowing where the train is and when it will eventually turn up. CN should be ashamed.

Date: 07/28/17 15:24
Author: MrGrumpy

andersonb109 Wrote:
> Well, No. 1 and 2 are up to their old tricks after
> a brief period of better time keeping. No. 1 is 5
> hour late at Perry Sound. So that probably
> indicates a late TO departure. VIA needs to have a
> replacement set (remember the train used to run
> daily so there must be enough cars around) and
> crew. Or why not adjust the schedule so No. 1
> doesn't leave the same night as arrival. CN needs
> to be held accountable for it's treatment of this
> train. VIA should withhold payment by percentage
> based on the number of hours late excepting for
> mechanical or non CN related issues. Maybe that
> would get their attention. And please, I don't
> want to hear about "more time on the train for
> me." 4 nights is enough and people do have
> schedules (such as time off work) to meet. And
> coach passengers and some in sleepers do still use
> the train for general transportation. How fun to
> wait at some platform in BF Ontario for hours not
> knowing where the train is and when it will
> eventually turn up. CN should be ashamed.

Now 4 hours and 15 minutes late into OBA, which isn't all that bad. I'm booked on VIA 1 next Saturday, so I stopped at Union Station yesterday to check the status of train 2. It was running 10 hours late into Toronto. The person I talked to said there was a 7 hour turnaround time, with the departure time for VIA 1 now scheduled for 03:00. So it left 5 hours late and now it's 4 hours and 15 minutes late. I'm with you on the part about the fact that CN should be held accountable, but not so much on the BF Ontario comment, or any other province for that matter. I'll leave it at that...

Cheers,
Dwayne

Date: 07/28/17 20:37
Author: DrawingroomA

andersonb109 Wrote:
... VIA needs to have a
> replacement set (remember the train used to run
> daily so there must be enough cars around) and
> crew.
It would be nice if VIA could have an extra set in the summer as they do in winter, but there simply isn't enough equipment. Because of the popular Canada 150 deal, the Canadian has been 25 cars east of Edmonton. The coach section has been five coaches with an extra baggage car and (on three of the four consists) an extra Skyline car. There are not enough Skyline cars so one of the consists has an extra dining car instead. That was the train that arrived in Toronto Thursday the 27th and departed at approximately 0200 Friday.

Most of the Manor sleepers are in use (eight per consist) and it has been reported that another four are operating on the western leg at least on some trains. There are no extra Prestige Château sleepers or Park cars.

Date: 07/28/17 22:50
Author: jp1822

DrawingroomA Wrote:
> andersonb109 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> ... VIA needs to have a
> > replacement set (remember the train used to run
> > daily so there must be enough cars around) and
> > crew.
> ...
> It would be nice if VIA could have an extra set in
> the summer as they do in winter, but there simply
> isn't enough equipment. Because of the popular
> Canada 150 deal, the Canadian has been 25 cars
> east of Edmonton. The coach section has been five
> coaches with an extra baggage car and (on three of
> the four consists) an extra Skyline car. There are
> not enough Skyline cars so one of the consists has
> an extra dining car instead. That was the train
> that arrived in Toronto Thursday the 27th and
> departed at approximately 0200 Friday.
>
> Most of the Manor sleepers are in use (eight per
> consist) and it has been reported that another
> four are operating on the western leg at least on
> some trains. There are no extra Prestige Château
> sleepers or Park cars.

An extra diner instead of a Skyline Dome Car? Interesting......

VIA has 16 Skyline Dome Cars, 14 Park Cars, and ONLY 13 Diners.

VIA is actually tight on diners, with likely every one of them pressed into service during the summer. At least 2 on each of the 4 Canadian consists (8 total) and 2 that would typically operate on the Hudson Bay line (total of at least 10 required for service). The Chaleur used to get a full diner in the summer - but it is suspended. And some of the Canadian consists are operating with a THIRD diner. VIA at one time was in the market for stainless steel Diners - and eyeing Amtrak's Heritage Diners at one time - had some VIA trains not been suspended.

Park Cars:

4 for the Canadian
2 for the Ocean
2 for the Skeena (train to Prince Rupert)

They have enough Park Cars to go around, hence why they were operating seasonally on the Hudson Bay train.

But with the Skeena (train to Prince Rupert) operating with a Park Car as opposed to a Skyline, the Chaleur (train to Gaspe) suspended, and also the Ocean running with a Park Car as opposed to a Skyline, VIA should be able to reserve all Skylines for the Canadian. Thus each Canadian consist COULD have 4 Skylines assigned.

Unlike Amtrak, VIA will press all equipment into service as opposed to keeping a % in reserve like Amtrak.

Date: 07/28/17 23:05
Author: jp1822

VIA likely has a diner stuck up in Churchill right? That's a valuable piece of equipment to VIA right now! Not sure if that consist had a Park Car on it not. I don't think it did for the time of season when it got "stuck up there" = but not sure.

Date: 07/29/17 03:41
Author: ghCBNS

ghCBNS Wrote:
> Also note that as of right-now, Friday AM, neither
> the Ocean #s 14 or 15 are showing.... but will
> later today when they begin their runs.

I have friends on #15. They were 45 mins late at Campbellton at midnight but actually arrived in Sainte-Foy a couple of mins early this morning. #14 is also showing on-time

Date: 07/29/17 15:04
Author: DrawingroomA

jp1822 Wrote:
>... Thus each Canadian
> consist COULD have 4 Skylines assigned.
>
> Unlike Amtrak, VIA will press all equipment into
> service as opposed to keeping a % in reserve like
> Amtrak.

The reason there is a dining car on one of the consists of the Canadian is due to insufficient Skylines to have four per train. According to the listings in the Trackside Guide there are only 15 in the fleet. Because of the volume of coach passengers in July (most travelling on the Canada 150 pass) extra meal service is needed.

In the busy summer season, coach passengers are usually welcomed in the dining car if there is room for them. There is a note on Reservia that: "On certain trains, like the Canadian and the Ocean, access to some cars may be limited or refused to Canada 150 pass holders." There is a baggage car, apparently empty from my observations, between the coach and sleeper sections. I suspect this is a barrier to keep possibly hundreds of coach passengers from going back. I don't know if arrangements can be made for passengers who paid the regular coach fares (which vary from $415 to $1093 for Toronto-Vancouver) to eat in a diner.

With no spare Prestige Park cars or Prestige Château sleepers, I wonder what VIA will do if one becomes bad-ordered. There is a note on VIA's site that a regular Park car may have to be operated on the Canadian. There is no equivalent "accessible" accommodation in a non-Prestige sleeper. Passengers from the one Prestige room in the Park car could be moved to a Château sleeper if they are not sold out. If a Château sleeper is bad-ordered this will cause a huge problem. In the off-peak season there are usually five Prestige sleepers available and one Prestige Park car.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0691 seconds