Home Open Account Help 315 users online

Canadian Railroads > Switcher Saturday - CP 6719 on the Turntable at Medicine Hat, AB

Date: 09/09/17 17:38
Switcher Saturday - CP 6719 on the Turntable at Medicine Hat, AB
Author: feclark

Two weeks ago I posted Canadian Fertilizer's S-3 6531 at Cousins, just west of Medicine Hat, at https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?15,4366737.
After shooting that, I dropped down the hill into the Hat to see what CP had around. I moved to Calgary in 1979, but never shot the Hat until July 6, 1984, when I was moving to Ottawa.
1. I've always loved switchers, and my five years in Calgary had acquainted me with CP's 6700-series SW900s. What set this one apart (and 6720 was the same) was the set of small number boards flanking the headlight, instead of the usual inset number boards on the casing. My sort-of-trusty steed, a 1980 Volvo 244 DL, is in the background of the first photo (yes, kgmontreal, I seem to have a problem keeping my big fat cars out of the frame!).
2. Because things look neat on the turntable, and because this is all gone, here's another view of the beast. I just drove up and walked around getting my shots. Times have changed. Sigh.
Fred

Date: 09/10/17 03:35
Re: Switcher Saturday - CP 6719 on the Turntable at Medicine Hat,
Author: kgmontreal

Those front number boards are really unique. That's the first picture I remember seeing of them. I'll have to go to the mountainrailway site and look at photos of the 6719 and 6720.

Ken

Date: 09/10/17 10:20
Re: Switcher Saturday - CP 6719 on the Turntable at Medicine Hat,
Author: feclark

Ken,
Just kidding here a little, but when I was writing the post, I was going to say "unique", but then, if two of them have it, it's not unique, is it? Anyway, they are distinctive.
Fred

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0361 seconds