Home Open Account Help 394 users online

Canadian Railroads > Shortline Sunday - ENR 3870 Unusual Cab, Plus Truck Change-out

Date: 09/10/17 14:03
Shortline Sunday - ENR 3870 Unusual Cab, Plus Truck Change-out
Author: feclark

I've started scanning in some slides of the ENR, Esquimalt and Nanaimo Railway Co., a RailAmerica subsidiary, that ran freight operations on the old E&N/CP lines on Vancouver Island, 1998-2006. The two photos in this post are of GP38 3870, one of several rather garish (my perspective; too bad Genessee and Wyoming didn't run this operation) red/silver/blue units that provided this service.
1. A simple 3/4 roster shot of what looks at first glance to be a standard low-nose GP38. Then you notice the cab is extended slightly into the short hood, but is not the remnant of a chopped high nose. Rather, what was built as Penn Central 7818, in 1979, had the enlarged cab to accommodate dual control stands. Photo from July 24, 2001, at the Wellcox Yard in Nanaimo, BC.
2. Taken two days later, on July 26, the same unit is being serviced in E&N's "al fresco" shop, which must have been really mean when it was raining, or bone-chilling damp in the winter (exposed fingers get awfully stiff in a hurry). At any rate, a pair of silver-painted Blomberg trucks had sat around the yard for a few days, in plastic wrap, and this day I found out who they were for. An outfit called Crane Force supplied the grunt, and the pair of old trucks was swapped out for the fresh ones. I wasn't around after this (last day of our island holiday) to benefit photographically from the change.
Fred

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/17 14:04 by feclark.

Date: 09/11/17 04:47
Re: Shortline Sunday - ENR 3870 Unusual Cab, Plus Truck Change-ou
Author: tsokolan

Nice scans Fred! Did you get the chance to shoot the GP-20 that was on the island?

-Trevor

Date: 09/11/17 16:03
Re: Shortline Sunday - ENR 3870 Unusual Cab, Plus Truck Change-ou
Author: feclark

tsokolan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice scans Fred! Did you get the chance to shoot
> the GP-20 that was on the island?
>
> -Trevor

I did get the Railink 2099, so I can move that to my to-do list of scans. I was able to get a roof shot as well.
Fred

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0348 seconds