Home Open Account Help 388 users online

Canadian Railroads > Switcher Saturday - IPSCO's BN NW2 at Regina

Date: 09/16/17 11:44
Switcher Saturday - IPSCO's BN NW2 at Regina
Author: feclark

Last week for Switcher Saturday I posted CP 6719 riding the turntable at Medicine Hat, at https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?15,4375635. I noted in the background my "more or less trusty steed", a 1980 Volvo DL, that carried me across the country to Ottawa. The Hat photos were taken around noon on Friday, July 6. Today's photos from Regina were taken Tuesday, July 10. What gives? Well, Friday I checked in at Swift Current for the night. Next day's plan was to go via Rosetown to Saskatoon, then down to Moose Jaw for the night. On the leg from Saskatoon to Moose Jaw, late Saturday afternoon, the car died in Davidson, Saskatchewan. There was a garage, but no luck that day. I checked in to the one hotel in town, had the best club sandwich I ever ate for supper, and then sat there Sunday, watched CFL on tv, and took static shots of a grain train that had arrived overnight and did nothing all day. Monday, very long and complicated story, finally arrived in Regina late in the day, car repaired. So Tuesday, July 10, 1984, I'm getting the heck out of Regina to continue my move, and got CP's Northern 3101 near the IPSCO plant, and saw this new arrival, not yet in the Trackside Guide.
1. This is the context shot, showing the plant and the photographic problem. The chain link is almost photographically transparent, and I did manage a decent 3/4 roster through it. The unit is former BN NW2 493.
2. Well, chain link sometimes gets gaps, so I got lucky to have the unit work up to it. The shot's more nose-y than I would have liked, but it's unobstructed. This locomotive eventually was renumbered to 5, and repainted in their attractive red and black livery. Shots via the Ian Platt/Doug Boyd consortium made the trading rounds years later.
More Saskatchewan industrial switchers next time I post Switcher Saturday.
Fred

Date: 09/16/17 13:29
Re: Switcher Saturday - IPSCO's BN NW2 at Regina
Author: Locotrol2

Very nice!

Date: 09/17/17 06:38
Author: kgmontreal

I always liked the NW2. Didn't know about that one.

KG

Posted from Android

Date: 09/19/17 21:55
Author: rrpreservation

According to the below site, it's a former GN unit retired in 1983

www.rrpicturearchives.net/locoList.aspx?id=BN&mid=70

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/17 21:56 by rrpreservation.

Date: 09/20/17 13:14
Author: tsokolan

The NW2 was still on the IPSCO property in 2002, although it appeared to be nothing more then a part source. My last visit to the property was this year, and the NW2 was no where to be founds...

-Trevor

Date: 09/23/17 13:30
Author: feclark

tsokolan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The NW2 was still on the IPSCO property in 2002,
> although it appeared to be nothing more then a
> part source. My last visit to the property was
> this year, and the NW2 was no where to be
> founds...
>
> -Trevor

Trevor,
This is a mysterious photo, because the TSG lists the 493 as having been renumbered to "5", and I have a slide taken by Ian Platt on August 10, 1993, that shows a "5", and it's an NW2, with orange-red paint and black stripes. It doesn't make sense they'd strip it back to BN paint, so I wonder what the story is, and if your unit is indeed the same one as the 493. Anybody have any ideas?
Fred

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0357 seconds