Home Open Account Help 383 users online

Canadian Railroads > and "on this day"

Date: 09/19/17 02:41
and "on this day"
Author: hoggerdoug

Rocky Mountaineer arriving at the south yard which was the BC Rail south yard in Prince George BC. Anyhow, eventually we would trade off with a CN crew who would take the RMR Fraser Discovery east to Jasper. For some reason or no reason, the yardmasters always wanted this train to arrive and depart through the diesel shop tracks, generally the east or west shop run around track. The thinking was that it was easier for the crews to change off in front of the yard office rather than somewhere out in the freight yard. Well it was quite an ordeal for us train crews to traverse the diesel shop trackage from one end to the other, first of all had to do some radio "channel surfing" to contact the yardmaster, then the shop foreman and then what ever hostlers that were moving locomotives around. Plus lining numerous track switches and dodging the odd derail or blue flag, this added to quite a delay to this fine tourist train. Eventually, the powers to be decided it was easier and quicker to run the train up a clear track in the yard, deliver the new crew via crew van resulting in very little delay to the train. Wonderful.

Anyhow, after the images were taken, I enjoyed some annual vacation time, then the twice yearly "change of card" job bid and went back to work mid-October in freight service for the winter.

thanks for looking. Doug

Date: 09/19/17 06:15
Re: and "on this day"
Author: BCR_766

Thanks for the great continuous pictures! Such sad, sad BCOL equipment :( (CRS-20, and slugs) Oh if things hadn't changed!

Date: 09/19/17 13:09
Re: and "on this day"
Author: feclark

I've never been to P.G., so these are interesting for that. I love the first shot, with the open switch, and crewman on the front platform ready to spring into action (or something like it). What a story.
Fred

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0399 seconds