Home Open Account Help 338 users online

Canadian Railroads > Ship will leave Churchill with stranded Via Rail train

Date: 10/17/17 08:35
Ship will leave Churchill with stranded Via Rail train
Author: choodude

CHURCHILL, Man. -- A ship has arrived in Manitoba's northern port of Churchill, bringing fuel to heat the town through the winter and also carrying away a train that's been stranded there since the rail line to the community washed out in the spring.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/ship-brings-propane-to-churchill-will-leave-with-stranded-via-rail-train-1.3633463

Date: 10/17/17 08:52
Re: Ship will leave Churchill with stranded Via Rail train
Author: joemvcnj

That means expect resumption of service no time soon. I am glad the equipment is being rescued.

Date: 10/17/17 09:00
Author: Lackawanna484

Lots of interesting tidbits

$18mn to repair the line for light loads
OmniTrax has decided the line is not economically viable
The town recognizes Via is a valuable partner in the town's future

Date: 10/17/17 09:39
Author: 41bridge

Interesting in the video are the cars and trucks on top of the containers. Anyone know why?

Hope they restore the line. It's at the top of my bucket list.

Date: 10/17/17 11:21
Author: reindeerflame

Lackawanna484 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Lots of interesting tidbits
>
> $18mn to repair the line for light loads
> OmniTrax has decided the line is not economically
> viable
> The town recognizes Via is a valuable partner in
> the town's future

I see a cost estimate of C$43 million, and nothing about C$18 million, which apparently refers to potential fines.

Date: 10/17/17 13:46
Author: MrGrumpy

Friday's Toronto Sun had an article about Ottawa giving Omnitrax a 30 day deadline to repair the line, or face an 18.8M lawsuit. Not sure how it could be repaired in 30 days, but here's the link to the article...

https://www.thestar.com/business/2017/10/13/ottawa-threatens-to-sue-railway-owner-over-broken-rail-line-to-churchill-manitoba.html

Dwayne

Date: 10/18/17 08:39
Author: viatrainrider

Having been to Churchill 20 trips, I know a number of local residents and my heart goes out to them as they face a winter of high prices and uncertainty. It is my sincere hope for all concerned - this train rider included who wants to get back to Churchill - that come spring deals will have been finally made and that repairs can begin.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0421 seconds