Home Open Account Help 314 users online

Canadian Railroads > Wainwright Sub Wednesday - East of Kinsella to Irma

Date: 11/15/17 10:08
Wainwright Sub Wednesday - East of Kinsella to Irma
Author: feclark

It's been three weeks since my last Wainwright tour post, at https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?15,4404049, where I'd worked as far east as Viking. Today I've got three shots in less than ideal light east of Kinsella, on July 2, 2016. I'm presenting them in chronological order, so east is first.
1. The day started in heavy drizzle, which cleared in a couple of hours. We set up at Irma, or more accurately, at the east switch Irma, whose signals you can see, MP 155.9. The road is Range Road 91, running south off Highway 14. First up is #191 at 1051, behind 2572 and 2561; lens set at 40 mm.
2. Waiting in the siding for it to clear was #312, which continued east toward Wainwright at 1059, behind (yawn) GEs 2228 and 3005. Most of the consist was lumber bulkhead flats, lens still set at 40 mm. I must admit it's days like this I really appreciate the DSLR. I took a lot of test shots as we were waiting for things to unfold, to determine what exposure compensation gave the best results.
3. Given the fact we weren't sun-drenched, we headed home toward Edmonton, and along the way, as is always the case, saw headlights coming from Kinsella. So we bailed off on the first range road, not recorded, and ducked under the tracks to get this shot across the field. The location is about MP 168.5, and we have an unidentified stack train at 1123 behind 5689 and 2575; lens set at 18 mm. The main downer to the shot was the fact that as we came under the tracks, we saw someone was already in place, and really close, so they'd end up in the shot. Not a day to buy lottery tickets.
There are many places along this stretch, where the highway is north of the tracks, that you can cut across or under and get some good views across the fields or ponds. Irma also sets up well on the north side, but I've only got that on B&W negs and I need to figure out how to make a decent image from one. Scanning skills replace the need for darkroom skills, but it can still be elusive, and I haven't got it yet.
Fred

Date: 11/15/17 14:32
Re: Wainwright Sub Wednesday - East of Kinsella to Irma
Author: kgmontreal

I like that little pile trestle in shot #3. It's very model rr like.

KG

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0403 seconds