Home Open Account Help 374 users online

Canadian Railroads > Intermodal trains passing

Date: 11/18/17 14:56
Intermodal trains passing
Author: Mberry

CN 120 and CN 149 will often pass each other on CN's Montreal Sub in Montreal and today was no exception. It was a very grey morning, but I had a headsup that CN 120 had a decent lashup, so I went to the Norman overpass in Lachine, Qc. Just as I got over the tracks CN 120 appeared, good timing!

1-A very long CN 120 (704 axles) is exiting Taschereau Yard with CN 8010, BCOL 4612, CN 2146 & CN 2267 for power up front and no DPU (a rarity most of the time). It is passing ditching projects on either side of CN Montreal's Sub; this area is prone to water accumulation during the winter or spring.

2-As CN 120 is passing, CN 149 approaches on the south track, with cowl CN 2417 leading.

3-The Norman overpass is right beside a highway entrance and exit, so I had time to get ahead of him for a more wide open shot. Here it's passing MP 14 of the Kingston Sub in Pointe-Claire.

Michael Berry

Date: 11/18/17 15:37
Re: Intermodal trains passing
Author: kgmontreal

Good timing.

Ken

Posted from Android

Date: 11/18/17 22:05
Author: feclark

I think you've posted the first location more than once, but the first shot, with the green signal, is a teaser, and I love your vertical, with the distant red signals out of focus. Very nice perspective, and I bet it wouldn't have worked as well on a sunny day.
Fred

Date: 11/19/17 04:09
Author: JPB

Excellent photos! So train 120 runs from Tascherau Yard Montreal to Halifax? And 149 runs from the Port of Montreal to Chicago?

Looks like CN will be adding a couple of thousand new workers to its ranks in 2018 due to traffic surge mostly in Western Canada:
http://business.financialpost.com/transportation/rail/cn-rail-says-it-will-be-hiring-thousands-as-shipments-surge
https://seekingalpha.com/news/3313354-cn-rail-hire-thousands-shipments-surge

Date: 11/19/17 05:51

feclark Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think you've posted the first location more than
> once, but the first shot, with the green signal,
> is a teaser, and I love your vertical, with the
> distant red signals out of focus. Very nice
> perspective, and I bet it wouldn't have worked as
> well on a sunny day.
> Fred

Thanks, indeed I have. The second shot would definitely not have worked on a sunny day.

Date: 11/19/17 05:52

Correct on 149, 120 runs from Toronto to Halifax, however it always enters Taschereau Yard in Montreal to lift (and possibly also set off) traffic.

Michael

Date: 11/19/17 17:53
Author: cn6218

Something must have happened along the way, because that's not the power that made it to Halifax. They arrived here about 11:30 today (Sunday), but had an ES44DC, ES44AC and Dash-9 up front with 8946 as DPU. Maybe it got swapped in Moncton. 8946 was on the gypsum train on Friday and would have gone to Moncton yesterday with 407.

GTD

Date: 11/19/17 18:17

cn6218 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Something must have happened along the way,
> because that's not the power that made it to
> Halifax. They arrived here about 11:30 today
> (Sunday), but had an ES44DC, ES44AC and Dash-9 up
> front with 8946 as DPU. Maybe it got swapped in
> Moncton. 8946 was on the gypsum train on Friday
> and would have gone to Moncton yesterday with
> 407.
>
> GTD

Interesting, seems the same Montreal power goes through to Halifax 99.99% of the time?

Apparently they removed about 3,000 feet from the train at Joffre yesterday.

Michael

Date: 11/28/17 15:15
Author: ns1000

I like Pic 3!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0552 seconds