Home Open Account Help 385 users online

Canadian Railroads > Showering in Prestige Class on The Canadian?

Date: 11/18/17 18:15
Showering in Prestige Class on The Canadian?
Author: Streamliner

Have been thinking about taking the trip, from Toronto to Vancouver. The idea of a shower is enticing, but I can remember TRYING to take a shower in a bedroom on the Coast Starlight. With the horrible tracks, the car was bouncing so much, I found it difficult at best and the idea of being all wet and soapy, while trying not to fall down, made me decide to end the experience early and my wife opted out completely. Can anyone report on their shower experience in Prestige Class on The Canadian? Is it doable, or are you taking your life in your soapy hands?

Date: 11/18/17 18:55
Re: Showering in Prestige Class on The Canadian?
Author: viatrainrider

While this does not really answer your question, I have viewed the showers in Prestige and they along with the whole bath area look very nice. I believe the shower can even be used as a hand held shower.

I have used the other showers on the Canadian many times. For me, in any event, no problem. Just do not shower at a station such as Jasper or Winnipeg where they are putting water on the car as for a time, there will be no water.

Date: 11/18/17 19:12
Author: railsmith

Streamliner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Have been thinking about taking the trip, from
> Toronto to Vancouver. The idea of a shower is
> enticing, but I can remember TRYING to take a
> shower in a bedroom on the Coast Starlight. With
> the horrible tracks, the car was bouncing so much,
> I found it difficult at best and the idea of being
> all wet and soapy, while trying not to fall down,
> made me decide to end the experience early and my
> wife opted out completely. Can anyone report on
> their shower experience in Prestige Class on The
> Canadian? Is it doable, or are you taking your
> life in your soapy hands?

Here are two photos I took while getting a sneak preview of Chateau Denonville before it entered service. Owing to the very tight angle, I had to take two shots (upper and lower) to get the whole thing. What struck me was that a very large person would have a hard time squeezing in there and still have room for all the arm action involved in washing.

The third photo shows the shower in the Park-car bedroom for disabled persons, which has ample room, as you'd expect.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/17 19:19 by railsmith.

Date: 11/18/17 20:53
Author: jbwest

I think the showers in the regular VIA sleepers are larger. I have used them many times and had good comfortable showers, and bouncing around on the track was never a problem. The Prestige showers look smaller to me, but so far I am too cheap to actually try one. I know what you mean about the showers in the Amtrak deluxe bedrooms, I ignore them and go down stairs to one of the public showers.

JBWX

Date: 11/19/17 08:33
Author: Northeaster

Having traveled VIA #1 from Toronto to Vancouver over a dozen times, I can vouch for the showers in the regular sleepers. The only time we had a problem was when the drain froze solid...it was defrosted in Winnipeg. There is, I believe, a whole lot more room in the public shower, especially the changing space and track action has never bothered me. I cannot remember what train it was, possibly a Renaissance car on the Ocean which had an in room shower/toilet combo which was not very satisfactory. Prestige class is totally unknown to me, sorry.

Date: 11/19/17 14:03
Author: CarolVoss

The Prestige class shower was just fine when we rode 8/16 Vancouver to Toronto. We are both tall but not overweight .
C

Carol Voss
Bakersfield, CA

Date: 11/19/17 17:19
Author: Chessie

I can't speak to the shower in Prestige but I found the showers in the Manor cars quite satisfactory on my last couple trips on the CANADIAN. We did have one drain freeze but as a previous poster commented it was dealt with in Winnipeg. Even shaved on board with no bloodletting. I did elect to use flip-flops in the shower but the on board crew did a very good job of keeping after things.

Date: 11/20/17 06:50
Author: Streamliner

Thanks to all for your comments, much appreciated.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0526 seconds