Home Open Account Help 285 users online

Canadian Railroads > The Canadian: Westbound or Eastbound. Any preference?

Date: 11/22/17 07:12
The Canadian: Westbound or Eastbound. Any preference?
Author: Streamliner

I know some of you folks have ridden this wonderful train multiple times, but we are doing it for the first time this coming April. We are trying to decide if we take it from Vancouver or from Toronto. What’s your preference and why? Any thoughts would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Date: 11/22/17 07:41
Re: The Canadian: Westbound or Eastbound. Any preference?
Author: jbwest

I have done it many times in both directions and can't say I really have a preference other than last time I did west so next time I should do east. One of these days I will simply do a roundtrip!

JBWX

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/17 07:49 by jbwest.

Date: 11/22/17 08:12
Author: ghCBNS

I’ve always done it east to west except once from Vancouver to Edmonton.

Even though the scenery across northern Ontario and the prairies is fine (and especially nice in winter with the snow and frozen lakes).....the anticipation for the run through the mountains and the views from the dome builds as you head west across the country. Coming east, the mountains are gone after the first full day out.....and to me, just seems so anti-climactic.

The Canadian’s time-keeping can be all over the board so there’s the possibility you might miss the mountains…..but also the possibility to see the Thompson and Fraser River Canyons in the daylight.

Date: 11/22/17 11:02
Author: reindeerflame

Just be prepared for the "wondeful train" to operate way off the published schedule.

Date: 11/22/17 11:50
Author: ghCBNS

reindeerflame Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just be prepared for the "wondeful train" to
> operate way off the published schedule.

...and all the more time to enjoy the meals, service and amenities of that "wonderful train"

Date: 11/22/17 12:29
Author: andersonb109

Eastbound. Almost guaranteed to have a full day in the mountains. Westbound, even if on time, unless its Summer, it's dark soon after you leave Jasper. But if really late, then you get the Thompson and Fraser Canyons in daylight on the run into Vancouver.

Date: 11/22/17 17:29
Author: viatrainrider

Because I start in WPG, I have to do the whole round trip. Agree with Andersonb109 that if you want mountains, east is the way to go. And almost always eastbound, the train leaves on time from Vancouver. However, be prepared for what could even be an evening arrival in Toronto although on my last trip we were in at 1400. Hard for me to do east, however, if I need to get off train at WPG as arrival could be middle of the night with no where to go and the station closes. So I go on to Toronto and reverse back to WPG where arrival in the AM is usually pretty much on time. More time on train for MORE dollars!!

Westbound from Toronto can be delayed but not so bad now that only two consists are operating and perhaps there is an extra consist in Toronto.

Enjoy your trip on the best regularly scheduled train in North America. Timekeeping problems are usually CN caused, not VIA caused.

Date: 11/25/17 20:17
Author: DrawingroomA

The best aspect of the Vancouver departure is that it is almost always on time. Departures from Toronto are rarely so. For example, today's departure from Toronto has been delayed until 01:30 Sunday due to today's arrival of #2 being 19:18.

The eastbound Canadian usually starts getting late between Jasper and Edmonton. Number 2 due into Jasper today at 1600 is now expected at 02:15. Most likely this is due to the CPR derailment Thursday near Hell's Gate. Directional running - eastbound on CP - will not be possible for a while.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/train-derailed-halls-gate-1.4417840

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/17 20:18 by DrawingroomA.

Date: 11/26/17 09:29
Author: Streamliner

I’m assuming that when the train departs late, it boards late as well, is that correct? I mean, they don’t let you board hours before departure, do they? So, if that is the case, it’s much better to depart on time and be late arriving, as you get way more time on the train, right? And, if you are traveling Prestige Class, I guess they have to keep feeding you as well. So, as long as you are not in a hurry, arriving late isn’t such a bad thing. Your thoughts are much appreciated.

Date: 11/26/17 15:34
Author: DrawingroomA

Streamliner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I’m assuming that when the train departs late,
> it boards late as well, is that correct? I mean,
> they don’t let you board hours before departure,
> do they? So, if that is the case, it’s much
> better to depart on time and be late arriving, as
> you get way more time on the train, right? And,
> if you are traveling Prestige Class, I guess they
> have to keep feeding you as well. So, as long as
> you are not in a hurry, arriving late isn’t such
> a bad thing. Your thoughts are much appreciated.

Whether on time or late, boarding in Toronto is usually half an hour before departure. If the train is very late, not only Prestige passengers get an extra meal or two. All sleeper passengers get a dining car meal, improvised by chef (no printed menu). An SM told me that extra supplies are put on in Winnipeg. For a 15-hour late arrival in Toronto a few years ago we got an extra lunch and dinner. Economy (coach) passengers are not usually starved. On some of my late arrivals those in coach have also been served a free dining car meal. On my last trip they were not, but I understand they were given something to eat in the coach.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0455 seconds