Home Open Account Help 329 users online

Canadian Railroads > A Signal Question

Date: 11/22/17 08:45
A Signal Question
Author: MrGrumpy

What is, or was, the purpose of that vertical pole (for lack of better words) that extends off to the left of the signals in this picture? This was taken in August of 1977 at Stephen BC on CP's Laggan Sub, but I don't think it's unique to this location as I've seen the same thing in a number of different places over the years.

Dwayne

Date: 11/22/17 08:57
Re: A Signal Question
Author: xcnsnake

It's a dummy mast, so a "dummy" doesn't think the high mast applies to the siding, instead of the dwarf;)

CROR (Canadian Rail Operting Rules) Rule 402. Positioning

Where conditions allow, block and interlocking signal heads will be positioned with respect to the tracks on which they affect movements. Bridges, cantilevers, dummy masts and other structures will be used and must be illustrated in company instructions to ensure proper understanding or signal intent.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/17 09:00 by xcnsnake.

Date: 11/22/17 15:41
Author: cn6218

Did any of these dummy masts have lights on them at one time, or am I imagining things? There was an outrigger on the westward signal at the west end of Milford siding in Nova Scotia (near my grandmother's house) back in the '70s, and I am pretty sure there was a light on it. The whole signal system on the Bedford Sub was modernized some time after that, and outriggers went away and signals were placed to the left of the track where it made sense.

I've photographed a couple of these still extant in New England. https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?2,2299883,2300083#msg-2300083 and https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?2,2286048,2286048#msg-2286048 (3rd photo). In those cases there were actually lights, although the discussion seemed to indicate that perhaps not all railroads went for the full light package. I have a photocopy of an old Railway Signalling article (Sept. 1944) that gives some details of the Moncton to Halifax CTC installation, and although it mentions signals on "brackets" on the Bedford Sub, it doesn't specify whether these are the main track or siding signals, and it doesn't have any pictures of them.

GTD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/17 06:42 by cn6218.

Date: 11/23/17 08:52
Author: eminence_grise

There are many High signals with a dummy mast on the CN Clearwater, Albreda and Edson Subs, although none have a lunar light on the "dummy" mast.

CP had a few on the Mountain and Shuswap. When CP Kamloops yard was ABS, there was a signal on the eastward track where the power on eastbound passenger trains stopped. It had once protected movements from the roundhouse, but continued to serve as an SPS (Station Protection Signal) allowing passenger trains to proceed on a "clear" signal rather than continue at restricted speed to Kamloops East. It was a classic GRS single searchlight signal with a relay box at the base of the mast,and a dummy mast with a blue lunar light.

Date: 11/23/17 10:50
Author: hoggerdoug

my contribution. Also, perhaps there is or was some information in "subdivision footnotes" in the employee time table regarding these signals, or an exception to or modification of the rule(s) governing such signal etc etc. Doug

Date: 11/24/17 14:13
Author: sums007

On the B&M, the dummy signals were a single blue light. There used to be one on the westward home signal at Andover St. in Lawrence, MA. I believe there is also a new one on the mast governing wesbound movements at CPF 495 in South Lawrence.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0547 seconds