Home Open Account Help 368 users online

Canadian Railroads > How often does Train No. 2 depart late?

Date: 12/05/17 19:05
How often does Train No. 2 depart late?
Author: Streamliner

My wife and I are taking The Canadian eastbound from Vancouver next April. Since scheduled departure is 8:30pm, we will have been out of our hotel for several hours prior. Then, if the train is late, or REALLY late, we could end up spending way too much time sitting in the station, which doesn’t sound too appealing. We are actually thinking of booking an extra night at the hotel and staying there until boarding is announced. Once we board, we really don’t care how late the train is, as long as there isn’t a bus ride involved. Any thoughts or suggestions are much appreciated.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/17 19:07 by Streamliner.

Date: 12/05/17 19:23
Re: How often does Train No. 2 depart late?
Author: jbwest

VIA 2 rarely if ever departs Vancouver late because it does not have the tight turnaround challenge that Toronto has, you can pretty much count on an on time departure. How far you might get is another question. In terms of killing time prior to departure, I would suggest you check your bags with the VIA station agent (you have to pick them up again before boarding) and then go out for a nice dinner. There is a decent Italian place just north of the station on Main Street called Campagnolo. Or you can take Skytrain back and forth to downtown. Or a taxi to downtown is not expensive.

JBWX

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/17 19:24 by jbwest.

Date: 12/06/17 03:23
Author: andersonb109

No need at all for an extended hotel. Lots to see and do in Vancouver. The Skytrain has several different routes out of the city and is a fun ride. Grab a seat up front and enjoy the view. (You can also take the "Canada Line" to the city center from the airport although mostly underground). I've never experienced a late Vancouver departure on the Canadian. It's not a same day turn around. And there is a complete spare set of equipment there. It's the other end where you should not plan for a same day flight or train back home. VIA won't do anything for you if you miss your flight but and won't guarantee any same day train connections from the Canadian. If you do arrive in Toronto during the day, there is also plenty to see and do there. that way you won't have any stress on board if you are going to make your flight (which you probably won't given the current lack of timekeeping).

Date: 12/06/17 12:08
Author: viatrainrider

As a fairly regular Train 1 - 2 rider I can also say that 2 almost always leaves Vancouver at exactly 2030! And in addition to the above ideas for Vancouver, the VIA First Class lounge opens at 1800 where tea, coffee, cookies are available. Sometimes live music is brought in the quality of which can vary significantly!

Posted from Android

Date: 12/06/17 12:08

As a fairly regular Train 1 - 2 rider I can also say that 2 almost always leaves Vancouver at exactly 2030! And in addition to the above ideas for Vancouver, the VIA First Class lounge opens at 1800 where tea, coffee, cookies are available. Sometimes live music is brought in the quality of which can vary significantly!

Posted from Android

Date: 12/06/17 17:15
Author: Streamliner

Thanks to all for your thoughts and suggestions. So, we should be planning on having dinner before we board, correct? There is no meal service that first night, right?

Date: 12/06/17 19:19

You are correct. No on board meal upon departure from Vancouver. My idea for you would be early dinner and then to the station to the First Class lounge. After boarding, head to the Park Car dome for champagne and snacks.

Note: I take a cab to station after dark. The area around the Main St Skytrain station after dark makes me a little nervous.

Have a great ride!!

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0434 seconds