Home Open Account Help 186 users online

Canadian Railroads > Rare Industrial Switcher Saturday

Date: 12/09/17 11:47
Rare Industrial Switcher Saturday
Author: cn6218

I think Phil had a shot of this thing when it was still working for Devco back in the early '80s in Glace Bay, NS. By the summer of 1998, this EMC Model 40 (40 tons?) was on display outside the Nova Scotia Museum of Industry in Stellarton. It had received a "new" paint job since Phil's photo, but the lettering from previous owner MacKinnon Industries was still showing through on the cab.

Unfortunately, some time after I shot this, it was moved to inside storage in a building not open to the public. Maybe some day it will be able to be seen again.

The Second Diesel Spotter's Guide claims that only 11 of this model were built, all in the early 1940s.

GTD

Date: 12/09/17 12:08
Re: Rare Industrial Switcher Saturday
Author: krm152

Definitely an interesting photo.
Thanks for posting.
ALLEN

Date: 12/09/17 13:08
Author: refarkas

Truly rare!
Thanks for sharing this.
Bob

Date: 12/09/17 13:48
Author: valmont

#20 before it was stuffed and mounted!

@ Victoria Jct., NS Oct. 11, 1985 Glenn Courtney original

Here's my post title from 2012 if you would like to see 'Model 40's

Nostalgia & History > More like the EMD mini-demo: Model 40's
Date: 01/06/12 12:02
More like the EMD mini-demo: Model 40's
Author: valmont

pic 2 is the demo @ Chicago, Aug. 20, 1966 by Karl Henkels

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/17 13:52 by valmont.

Date: 12/09/17 22:06
Author: wabash2800

Perhaps to compete with GE 44 tonners?

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Date: 12/10/17 03:47
Author: kgmontreal

Neat shots, Geoff. That museum in Stellarton is a great place.

Ken

Date: 12/10/17 09:13
Author: mcfflyer

kgmontreal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Neat shots, Geoff. That museum in Stellarton is a
> great place.
>
> Ken

Yeah, It was a fascinating museum when I stopped by there in 2003, but like Geoff said, this Model 40 is in nonaccessible storage, and I was unable to see the one item in their collection I most wanted to see!

Lee Hower - Sacramento

I gotta get back to the Maritimes again!

Date: 12/10/17 09:32
Author: EMDSW-1

mcfflyer Wrote:
> kgmontreal Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Neat shots, Geoff. That museum in Stellarton is
> a
> > great place.
> >
> > Ken
>
> Yeah, It was a fascinating museum when I stopped
> by there in 2003, but like Geoff said, this Model
> 40 is in nonaccessible storage, and I was unable
> to see the one item in their collection I most
> wanted to see!
>
> Lee Hower - Sacramento
>
> I gotta get back to the Maritimes again!

Would LOVE to acquire and restore one of those critters to operate on our excursion train here in Portland (OR)!

Dick Samuels
Oregon Pacific Railroad

Date: 12/11/17 13:21
Author: eminence_grise

Here's my image from 1975, as I recall, the shop crew hauled it out of the roundhouse for us to photograph.

The number was hand drawn.

I notice the journal box covers are open when it was on display. Did someone steal the brass bearings?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/17 13:23 by eminence_grise.

Date: 12/11/17 17:16
Author: cn6218

eminence_grise Wrote:
> Here's my image from 1975,

I guess I was off by a decade on the date of your visit.

> I notice the journal box covers are open when it
> was on display. Did someone steal the brass
> bearings?

Could you get the bearings out without taking the weight off the axles first? Sounds like you'd need a jack good for 10 or 15 tons, at least.

CBNS had some trouble with that in Sydney. Otherwise operational locomotives had wiring and aluminum components removed under cover of darkness. The RaiLink GP9 4000 probably would have left with the others instead of being scrapped if it hadn't been trashed. The Centuries were all picked over too. Likely the same people removed copper wiring from a large dockside crane in Sydney Harbour.

GTD

Date: 12/14/17 07:05
Author: SD45X

One outside at North Judson Indiana.

Date: 12/16/17 11:35
Author: hepc46

The very rare EMD Model 40. I believe all but 2 of the original units still exist. My visit in 2001 was a lucky one. My inlaws are from Glace Bay, the Curator at the time was also from there. We talked and I explained the importance of the unit to the Niagara Region. She graciously took us inside the warehouse to see #20 (EMC 1134 as this was the demonstrator model) 20 is stored along with the other railway equipment, including Sydney & Louisburg 2-6-0 42 (brand new boiler tubes were stacked on the ground beside her for a restoration that unfortunately did not happen), a CN 0-6-0 7260, a 25t Vulcan and 20t Plymouth. I was able to photograph all of the pieces and also get up close and personal with 20. Her history here in Niagara is from McKinnon Industries, which was home to 2 very rare units, this one, and the GMDH3, which was also the demonstrator for that model. While it is unfortunate that this locomotive is no longer seen, it is important to note that it is now stored inside a secure, dry warehouse. It was interesting to see the McKinnon Industries logo was only painted over with time starting to take it's tole as it starts to show through once again.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0645 seconds