Home Open Account Help 378 users online

Canadian Railroads > MLW Monday in Ottawa

Date: 02/12/18 12:48
MLW Monday in Ottawa
Author: moonliter

A few shots from the summer of 1976 that I took in Walkley Yard here in Ottawa, ON.

Photo 1: CP Rail 6620 MLW S-11 built in 1959. This unit was kept around Ottawa because of an old bridge across the Coulonge River at Fort Coulonge, QC. Anytime there was a
Waltham or Davidson turn, 6620 would be the power chosen because of light weight.

Photo 2: Unlike the gang from Montréal who were 5 to 10 years older, I did not have the opportunity to photograph much power in the maroon and grey. So when such a unit did come to Ottawa it was a treat no matter how bad the paint was. Here we have RS-18 8755 built for the CPR in 1958. In 1980 8755 was rebuilt and renumbered to 1805 and retired in 1997.

Photo 3: At one time Ottawa did have freight trains. Train 85 from Montreal via the Lachute sub has just arrived at Walkley Yard. Although it is flying white flags and had
its white class lights on, it was still a regularly scheduled train. Why the flags? Ottawa terminal at one time, was controlled by two electric train staff systems.
With the relocation of Ottawa West yard, roundhouse and Ottawa's Union station the absolute block staff system was eliminated. The rules stated the when the staff
system was "inoperative" trains were to be governed by timetable and trainorders. Although 85 and 86 were regularly scheduled trains they carried white flags and class
lights from Hull West to Ottawa. C-424 4205 built by MLW in 1965 leads C-630 4502 built by MLW in 1968 into the west end of Walkley Yard.

Gerry Gaugl
Ottawa ON

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/18 14:47 by moonliter.

Date: 02/12/18 13:22
Re: MLW Monday in Ottawa
Author: feclark

Gerry,
You're bringing a tear to my eye; 1976 was the year I started shooting slides, so I remember 6620 well. I shot two Script RS-18s, though I can't remember the numbers, and would have to look them up. The six-axle trailer in your third shot dates things as well, as they eventually banned them from this run, on account of a particular bridge or stretch of track. Sadly.
Fred

Date: 02/12/18 14:06
Author: briancdn

Nice photos. I also shot 6620 in Ottawa about the same time. One note, 6620 is an S-11 (6614-6623), not an S-10. I think the S-10's were similar to an S-3 with some sort of electrical upgrade. All were 660 HP with a 539 prime mover.

Brian N.

Date: 02/12/18 14:09
Author: kgmontreal

How often did 6-motor power operate on 85 and 86?

KG

Date: 02/12/18 14:53

briancdn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice photos. I also shot 6620 in Ottawa about the
> same time. One note, 6620 is an S-11 (6614-6623),
> not an S-10. I think the S-10's were similar to an
> S-3 with some sort of electrical upgrade. All were
> 660 HP with a 539 prime mover.
>
> Brian N.

Yes, thank-you Brian for picking up on that. I have made the correction. My slide is labeled correctly.

Gerry Gaugl
Ottawa ON

Date: 02/12/18 15:00

kgmontreal Wrote:
> How often did 6-motor power operate on 85 and 86?
>
> KG

I do not know but in general 6-motor power was rare in Ottawa the two summers I worked for CP Rail as car checker. I will ask Bruce Chapman if I see him on Wednesday.

Gerry Gaugl
Ottawa ON

Date: 02/12/18 19:11

kgmontreal Wrote:
> How often did 6-motor power operate on 85 and 86?
>
> KG

Anecdotally, it was not too uncommon for that year and another. Without digging into the Logan boxes, I can recall about five occasions (I was not a daily shooter) with big Ms on the point, twice with an FP7 trailing.
Fred

Date: 02/12/18 20:11

feclark Wrote:
> kgmontreal Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > How often did 6-motor power operate on 85 and
> 86?
> >
> > KG
>
> Anecdotally, it was not too uncommon for that year
> and another. Without digging into the Logan boxes,
> I can recall about five occasions (I was not a
> daily shooter) with big Ms on the point, twice
> with an FP7 trailing.

I emailed Bruce Chapman and here is his response,

"We’d often put 6–axle units on #85 when they were on test just out of Angus, or if they were waiting material at St. Luc. Now the 85 lb rail on the back tracks on the Lachute Subdivision did cause problems, and that is one reason why the roadmaster eventually banned them on all local trains."

Gerry Gaugl
Ottawa ON

Date: 02/13/18 13:19
Author: kgmontreal

Thanks, Gerry, Fred and Bruce. That's interesting information.

Ken

Date: 02/13/18 14:20

kgmontreal Wrote:
> Thanks, Gerry, Fred and Bruce. That's interesting
> information.
>
> Ken

To add to this, I guess there were two occasions, at least, that an SD40-2 ended up going back to Montreal on #86. In one case, I believe it was rescue power for VIA coming in from the west. I shot the power at the shops, not on the train later in the day. This had to be between 1984 and 1990, when I was back in Ottawa for a time.
Fred

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0767 seconds