Home Open Account Help 318 users online

Canadian Railroads > Food on Northern Quebec Services

Date: 04/15/18 08:13
Food on Northern Quebec Services
Author: sums007

These trains run all day. Is there a food service car on them? There's no mention of food service in the VIA timetable.

Date: 04/15/18 08:40
Re: Food on Northern Quebec Services
Author: kgmontreal

I can't answer your question. But typically those trains are a baggage car and one coach.

KG

Date: 04/15/18 08:50
Author: PHall

What does the timetable say? They usually note stuff like food service or the lack of.

Date: 04/15/18 09:08
Author: 4489

I think that there is some type of food service but don't quote me. I would give a call to VIA and ask them directly. Just in case!

Date: 04/15/18 10:38
Author: ghCBNS

When I rode a couple of years ago there were snacks available: sandwiches pop chips and the Service Manager always had a pot of coffee on. Quite adequate for the route.

Posted from Android

Date: 04/15/18 15:12
Author: moonliter

sums007 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> These trains run all day. Is there a food service
> car on them? There's no mention of food service
> in the VIA timetable.

Check out VIA's website or call them. I think that there may still be a hot meal to be had, similar to the microwaved meals on the Ocean but not as many choices. This note was added to the bottom of the menu that was published 02/2017 Rev. "ASK YOUR ONBOARD ATTENDANT about other menu options available to you on the Montréal–Jonquière, Montréal–Senneterre and Montréal–Halifax (the Ocean) trains."

When the train was changed to HEP, one coach used on the remote Quebec services had a microwave equipped snack bar. Three years ago when I last rode this train I had a one hot meal choice, lasagna which suited me fine.

Gerry Gaugl
Ottawa ON

Date: 04/15/18 17:29
Author: joemvcnj

A snack wagon much like a corridor train, which usually stays put, and a coffee urn. You can walk up to it, though service attendant is glad to bring food to you.

I always buy snacks in a super market for all day trips since I have quite an appetite when on a train and can easily clean out the wagon's inventory.

Posted from Android

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/18 17:30 by joemvcnj.

Date: 04/16/18 04:30
Author: DrawingroomA

moonliter Wrote:
... I think that
> there may still be a hot meal to be had, similar
> to the microwaved meals on the Ocean but not as
> many choices.
> ...
> Gerry Gaugl
> Ottawa ON
Sorry to be picky, but every time I read this I feel compelled to set the record straight regarding the meals on the Ocean. They are not microwaved but heated slowly in electric ovens. I have had over 30 trips on the Renaissance Ocean and on one a service manager showed me the routine. The meals take 18 minutes to heat in aluminum containers, then they are plated and garnished.

Date: 04/16/18 05:04

A poster on another forum has noted that a Skyline will be added to the Jonquiere train between May 18 and June 3

http://www.viarail.ca/en/explore-our-destinations/trains/regional-trains/montreal-jonquiere

Date: 04/17/18 12:56
Author: Lackawanna484

Back in 1962, CN offered a buffet-parlor on the 115-116, 211-212, 213-214-215 trans between Montreal and Chicoutimi.

They also offered a buffet-parlor between Montreal and Chambord.

(I was using the May 1962 Official Guide, and decided to compare)

Date: 04/17/18 17:00
Author: BigSkyBlue

ghCBNS Wrote:
> A poster on another forum has noted that a Skyline
> will be added to the Jonquiere train between May
> 18 and June 3
>
> http://www.viarail.ca/en/explore-our-destinations/
> trains/regional-trains/montreal-jonquiere

If you haven't rode this train yet, here is your reason. Jonquiere is walkable, and if the triweekly schedule doesn't work for you, bus service to the VIA station at Quebec is good. BSB

Date: 04/18/18 02:47

Although you won’t see the Fjord from the Dome....the Jonquiere-Saguenay-Lac-Saint-Jean area quite scenic. The train is considered a remote service by VIA but the area is fairly well populated with about 250,000. The train does pass through an area between Riviere-a-Pierre and Lac-Saint-Jean with limited road access.

And as noted above....It’s quite easy to do the trip if you want to tie it in with a bus ride back to Quebec City....up to 4 a day and takes about 3 hrs.

https://intercar.ca/en/who-are-we/schedules-and-routes

Date: 04/18/18 12:46
Author: joemvcnj

BigSkyBlue Wrote:
> ghCBNS Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > A poster on another forum has noted that a
> Skyline
> > will be added to the Jonquiere train between
> May
> > 18 and June 3
> >
> >
> http://www.viarail.ca/en/explore-our-destinations/
>
> > trains/regional-trains/montreal-jonquiere
>
> If you haven't rode this train yet, here is your
> reason. Jonquiere is walkable, and if the
> triweekly schedule doesn't work for you, bus
> service to the VIA station at Quebec is good.

Jonquire station is inter-modal with the local bus system, including half hourly service to the larger Chicoutimi (CN tracks were torn up that far - station building still there for other uses), which also gets direct Intercar bus service from Quebec City. Makes for a good circle trip, which I did in 2016.

CN track conditions gets worse the farther north it goes and there was a structural 1-hour delay with slower speed limits for the Jonquire train.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0454 seconds