Home Open Account Help 388 users online

Canadian Railroads > North to Alaska via the Alaska Hwy - info wanted

Date: 05/19/18 20:04
North to Alaska via the Alaska Hwy - info wanted
Author: roustabout

I am leaving for a road trip to Fairbanks soon and just wondered if there was anything unusual or interesting going on, Prince George to Chetwynd and Fort Nelson.

We may make a side trip to Fort St James to see what's there and ponder the possibilities of the Takla Sub; any info is welcomed about that, too.

Thank you in advance,
Roustabout out

Date: 05/19/18 23:48
Re: North to Alaska via the Alaska Hwy - info wanted
Author: LKeithR

The Prince George Railway and Forestry Museum is worth a look...

http://www.pgrfm.bc.ca/

Keith Robertson
Langley, BC

Date: 05/20/18 10:40
Author: eminence_grise

The Pine Pass route of the former BCR south from Chetwynd is right beside Highway 97 and is quite scenic. In BCR days, there was at least one freight daily over this route.

Date: 05/20/18 20:19
Author: BobB

eminence_grise Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Pine Pass route of the former BCR south from
> Chetwynd is right beside Highway 97 and is quite
> scenic. In BCR days, there was at least one
> freight daily over this route.

When I followed this route last June I saw a coal train, which I assume was in addition to the one daily freight; the line is scenic and is worth viewing even without a train.

Date: 05/21/18 06:17
Author: train1275

Drove the AlCan in 2008 all the way from New York to Anchorage when I moved up there.

Find a copy of The Milepost which will make your trip easier through the Yukon.

There is a lot of nothing out there and sometimes when you plan on something like gas or food it is either closed for the day or just plain closed.

Sometimes the distances between any real towns or services is rather staggering as compared to the Lower 48.

Be careful of speed limits as at times you can be hurdling into a herd of buffalo or such and the RCMP enforce them pretty well if the wildlife doesn't.

Date: 05/22/18 08:42
Author: rschonfelder

If you actually want to drive the Alaska Highway from mile 0 then do what you are planning. However, a good alternative is to drive the Yellowhead west and turn right somewhere after Houston (not THAT Houston!) and drive up to the Yukon via Dease Lake. The turning point is near Terrace and is called Kitwanga. That is the way that most tour bus routes go to Alaska. You will likely see more rail action going that route but realise that the CN Rupert line is somewhat remote to the highway.

Rick

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0519 seconds