Home Open Account Help 401 users online

Canadian Railroads > "on this day" a day early

Date: 07/07/18 06:47
"on this day" a day early
Author: hoggerdoug

Other things happening tomorrow and not sure if I would have time for the computer and posting.  I'll be at the Trecothic Creek and Windsor Railway, large scale 1-1/2 inch scale, 7-1/4 in gauge track with 2,800 feet of mainline featuring coal fired Mikado and Royal Hudson as well as other battery and gasoline powered locos. I'll be running my two axle, blue and silver "Huskie". Club track is located at 133 Centennial Drive, Windsor, Nova Scotia. Weather permitting,  gate open for the first train at 10:00. last train runs at 3:30pm. Free admission, donations gratefully accepted.  Would be nice to see some TO members attend.

Anyhow, a day early for "on this day", July 8, 2008 on the Rocky Mountaineer Fraser Discovery, north bound on the BC Rail.

01 approaching tunnel mile 125.6
02 &  03, "dry slide" at mile 125.8

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/18 07:39 by hoggerdoug.

Date: 07/07/18 06:49
Re: "on this day" a day early

04 the sign says it all
05 & 06 dry slide area

Date: 07/07/18 06:52

07 mile 126 Squamish sub, makes you wonder how or why the railroad was built here.
08 north switch Seton
09 south portal Shalalth tunnel

Date: 07/07/18 06:55

10 north portal Shalalth tunnel at mile 141
11 & 12 some critters on the track and my Conductor getting a good view. The track patrol ahead are good at warning us of wildlife and we could slow down for the on board guests to have a good view.

Date: 07/07/18 06:57

13 near mile 168 Lillooet sub
14 & 15 tunnel mile 168.4

Date: 07/07/18 07:01

16, 17 & 18 tunnel just north of mile 185

Date: 07/07/18 07:03

last images
19 & 20 tunnel at mile 185.6
thanks for looking.
Doug

Date: 07/07/18 07:55
Author: spdaylight

Great set of photos Doug.  Especially the critter ones and the last one . . how many years were you a hogger for the RM trains?

Craig
mcmrailviideos.com

Date: 07/07/18 08:38

spdaylight Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great set of photos Doug.  Especially the critter
> ones and the last one . . how many years were you
> a hogger for the RM trains?
>
> Craig
> mcmrailviideos.com

Craig, I did three seasons on the RMR Fraser Discovery, part of 2006 then the full season 2007 & 2008 on BC Rail between Prince George - Whistler and return.  I was not employed by RMR. For BC Rail crews, Conductor and Engineer  the job was bid assignment, on BC Rail and the language in the collective agreement was quite firm at the time to the effect "all trains on BC Rail territory will be operated by BC Rail Locomotive Engineers".  Then again the Port sub was the exception except for work trains. On the CN side Prince George to Jasper was operated by crews from the freight pool and I'm not sure when Rocky started to use "contractor" crews on the rest of their trains.
Glad you enjoyed the images posted.
Doug

Date: 07/07/18 10:51
Author: 3rdswitch

What an amazing stretch of railroad.
JB

Date: 07/07/18 12:38
Author: GP30Frank

Doug , you got to enjoy lots of great scenery .  I especially enjoy the " hanging on the edge " shots , as I have mentioned before .

Date: 07/07/18 22:45
Author: roustabout

Hope you post some images of your side job, Hoggerdoug

Date: 07/09/18 09:17
Author: jp1822

The term escapes me, but I presume there is still a "scout/lookout" MOW vehicle (of sorts etc.) that travels in front of the train south of Lilloet along the lakes right? Again, LOVE this route. 

Besides RMR, is there any private rail cars that traverse the ole BC line north of Lilloet? I know some excursions occasionally run out of Squamish (and There used to be a Private rail car maintained there I believe), but not sure what this line ever sees in terms of other special/private rail cars......

Date: 07/09/18 09:29

Yes, most trains on the Squamish sub have a "patrol" ahead of them. Used to be a track motor car "speeder", now a days the patrolman rides in a hi-rail pickup truck. Not aware of any private cars  over BC Rail territory in recent years although the CN does run the business train with fancy coaches.  The last private car I remember was the "Chapel Hill" ex C&O, and it was on the rear of freight train back in the late 1970's.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0607 seconds