Home Open Account Help 364 users online

Canadian Railroads > CP 35 ft Business Cars

Date: 07/08/18 17:03
CP 35 ft Business Cars
Author: back_track_bob

Picked up this little jem the other day... needs a lot of work re paint etc... anyone on the list have any info on these cars, numbers, location were used.. etc..

BTB

Date: 07/08/18 18:16
Re: CP 35 ft Business Cars
Author: CPR_4000

I think Division Superintendents got those.

Date: 07/08/18 19:45
Author: feclark

Bob,
John Riddell's Morning Sun book (CP Rolling Stock) shows #22 on page 30; indeed a Division Superintendent's car. The photo matches the window layout and a few other features, but differs in other respects. I'm sure with your location you're familiar with former CP 27 at NMST, or wherever it is now, though I don't know if the number on your model is gratuitous or prototypically accurate.
Fred

Date: 07/08/18 20:24
Author: screeh

Adding to info from previous posters, John Riddell also wrote an article on Canadian Pacific's 35-foot business cars in the Sept 1999 issue of Railroad Model Craftsman.

John notes that CPR bilt 22 of these short cars to serve district superintendents during their travels managing their territories. The car was built in April 1907 in CPR's car shops in Farnham QC, was assigned to the Atlantic Division (Bronswville Jct ME) in 1914 and later assigned to Woodstock NB, the car was sold in 1929 to Singer Manufacturing Co for use on the Thurso & Nation Valley Ry and was donated to the Bytown Railway Society in Nov 79.

Bytown still have the car in their collection, see https://www.bytownrailwaysociety.ca/index.php/equipment/tnvr-official-s-car-no-27 for more info.

Stu

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/18 20:25 by screeh.

Date: 07/09/18 06:39
Author: 4489

the car was sold in 1929 to Singer
> Manufacturing Co for use on the Thurso & Nation
> Valley Ry and was donated to the Bytown Railway
> Society in Nov 79.
>
> Bytown still have the car in their collection, see
> https://www.bytownrailwaysociety.ca/index.php/equi
> pment/tnvr-official-s-car-no-27 for more info.
>
> Stu

i have ridden in this car, being pulled by a Shay no less. This was when the NMS&T had running days on weekends on their grounds in Ottawa!

Date: 07/09/18 08:15
Author: ghCBNS

Didn’t Omar Lavallee (eventually the CPR Historian) have a similar car he used as a ‘Pay Car’ across Maine.

There was a Maine Statute saying railway workers had to be paid in cash....not by cheque and he would set out weekly from Magantic, Quebec......stopping at remote sidings and villages in Maine to deliver wages.

Date: 07/09/18 11:54
Author: joemvcnj

Reminds me of the ficticious "Wild Wild West" car.

Date: 07/09/18 19:19
Author: Charls

Still with us at BRS in Ottawa, last one in existence
Charls

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0818 seconds