Home Open Account Help 365 users online

Canadian Railroads > Some Extra Passengers for the Canadian??

Date: 07/09/18 15:14
Some Extra Passengers for the Canadian??
Author: ghCBNS

Some Extra Passengers for the Canadian??

Greyhound has announced they will end all intercity and transcontinental bus service west of Ontario this October. Only route remaining will be Vancouver-Seattle

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/greyhound-cancellations-alberta-manitoba-saskatchewan-british-columbia-1.4739459

Date: 07/09/18 15:36
Re: Some Extra Passengers for the Canadian??
Author: joemvcnj

Look like no service west of Sudbury to The Soo either. AGR Canyon train will be harder to get to.
I don't see it impacting the Candian much at all, except for travel Toronto and Winnipeg or Winnipeg and Vancouver.
What will they do with all those buses ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/18 16:43 by joemvcnj.

Date: 07/09/18 20:07
Author: tsokolan

Those former Greyhound patrons used the service since it was an affordable means of travel. The price for a coach ticket on VIA is much higher then the bus service, making it an unaffordable alternative 

-Trevor

Date: 07/09/18 20:30
Author: jp1822

Surprised as I thought the routes between Calgary-Edmonton-Jasper-Vancouver were actually doing well (particularly Calgary-Edmonton). Even Calgary to Banff seemed semi-popular with some folks. But changing times, and not surprised in totality. It's too bad that VIA can't get some sort of rail service in place between Calgary and Edmonton. 

Date: 07/09/18 23:01
Author: reindeerflame

Amtrak and Via are likely to be the next victims.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/10/18 06:20
Author: Lackawanna484

Some Greyhound buses pulled trailers for package service to remote communities.

I don't know if they still offer that service.

Posted from Android

Date: 07/10/18 18:19
Author: tq-07fan

As sad as this is to me and I am sure many others it is not totally unexpected.

Here is the link to the Greyhound version, including all the services to be cut.
https://news.greyhound.ca/greyhound-route-discontinuance

When I worked in Canada in the 1990's there were three trips each way each day from Toronto to Vancouver on the Trans-Canada with a fourth trip from Calgary to Winnipeg. Fares were reasonable. Today there is only one trip a day across Canada. Fares have risen to where it costs more to ride the one twelve hour trip a day from Saskatoon to Winnipeg then it does to fly there in about an hour with multiple trips per day to chose from. I rode Greyhound Canada quite a lot both in transferring between Sperry cars and for fun.  

Jim

Date: 07/11/18 09:39
Author: PHall

And there's already other companies that are stepping forward to continue these services. 

Date: 07/11/18 10:03
Author: ghCBNS

PHall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And there's already other companies that are
> stepping forward to continue these services.

One is 'Maritime Bus' that took over Acadian Lines routes in NB, NS and PEI about 6 years ago  

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.053 seconds