Home Open Account Help 372 users online

Canadian Railroads > MLW Monday in Guelph

Date: 09/24/18 09:21
MLW Monday in Guelph
Author: cn6218

I made my first visit to Guelph, Ontario a couple weeks ago.  Although I lived in Kitchener/Waterloo for a year in the '60s, I don't ever remember visiting Guelph.

I know the city primarily as the home of Hammond Manufacturing, a long time supplier of electrical and electronic transformers and other related metal work.  But I was unaware of its railway connections until a recent visit to Mississauga prompted me to do some research.  Of particular note is the Guelph Jct. Rwy. (operated by Ontario Southland), which makes a daily trip from Guelph Jct. East (Campbellville) to switch the industrial parks on each side of the Speed River.  Ontario Southland features MLWs, at least at this operation, and it's been a while since I've seen one operating or shot some video.

These stills feature former BC Rail M-420W 644 and ex-CP RS-23 8044 (now 504) switching covered hoppers on the south industrial park spur (there is a north spur which GEXR was switching simultaneously), and then some video featuring the unique sound of the 6-cylinder Also 251 sputtering away as the crew shoves cars up the hill into various tracks.  

KG provided much of the background for this little jaunt, although I ran into some other railfans that day who filled in some other details.

GTD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/18 11:36 by cn6218.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 09/24/18 11:01
Re: MLW Monday in Guelph
Author: refarkas

Great photos. Thanks for sharing these.
Bob

Date: 09/25/18 06:19
Author: dash944cw

Always love to hear the sound of those Alcos.
Thanks for the vid, and the sounds!

Date: 09/25/18 10:27
Author: feclark

Nice shots; with no disrespect to the BCOL paint (easy, hoggerdoug!), I wonder how it'd look in the OSR maroon and cream.
Fred

Date: 09/25/18 12:27
Author: rschonfelder

It would be nice if some museum would target these two units for restoration and return to their old home ground when this railway decides they've had enough of them.

Rick

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0476 seconds