Home Open Account Help 220 users online

Canadian Railroads > Railroad attractions in Winnepeg?

Date: 11/06/18 16:44
Railroad attractions in Winnepeg?
Author: P

We're considering a short winter vacation in Winnepeg soon and while there appears to be a lot of railroad activity in the city, I was wondering if there are any railroad museums or railroad attractions in town for the family?  

Edit:  We will likely have a Saturday & Sunday to spend and with a Jets game Saturday night in the cards, we would be interested in any daytime attractions that are unique to the city or even uniquely Canadian.  i.e. Not interested in things we could see at home in the States...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/18 16:48 by P.

Date: 11/06/18 17:13
Re: Railroad attractions in Winnepeg?
Author: cn1063

Winnipeg has a variety of railway attractions. Union Station (an attraction itself) has the Winnipeg Railway Museum which has an operating HO scale layout, CN steel caboose, GMD-1 locomotive and a former CN simulator for training locomotive engineers. In addition, the CN mainline passes behind the building, lots of action here. For the family the Forks market is behind the station and has many places to eat or get a coffee. CN crosses the Red and Assiniboine Rivers with many vantage points from the market area. Also at the Forks is the Manitoba Children’s Museum, which has a former CN F7Au for the kids to play on! Hope you enjoy your trip to friendly Manitoba!

Date: 11/06/18 20:53
Author: jeffgeldner

And if you cross the Red River of the North, in St. Boniface, you can enjoy good food and atmosphere at La Gare in the former CNR St. Boniface railway station.

The website is restogare.com.

Jeff Geldner
Sequoia National Park, CA

Date: 11/07/18 07:08
Author: viatrainrider

Also, in the area behind Union Station is the Human Rights Museum.  Very good and worthwhile.  Not rail oriented but when I was there and presented my VIA ticket there was a discount on admission.

Date: 11/08/18 10:53
Author: alamedafrank

Is not "The Countess of Dufferin" still on display at the CPRR Station?  My mother would walk me daily by the CPR park where it was proudly  on display in the 1940s.  It was the first CPR engine in the west.  Frank

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/18 17:57 by alamedafrank.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0564 seconds