Home Open Account Help 302 users online

Canadian Railroads > A busy VIA Moncton Station in ‘86

Date: 11/08/18 01:05
A busy VIA Moncton Station in ‘86
Author: ghCBNS

The w/b Atlantic is just arriving from Halifax on Track 2. Passengers for Newcastle, Bathurst, Campbellton and eastern Quebec will change to the Ocean waiting on Track 1.
Back then....the Atlantic ran between Halifax and Montreal through Saint John and the State of Maine. And the Ocean....only between Moncton and Montreal

Date: 11/08/18 01:07
Re: A busy VIA Moncton Station in ‘86

A Park Car trails the Atlantic on the left....Ocean on the right.

“Railiner’ from Saint John to Halifax.

Date: 11/08/18 01:09

The connecting VIA Bus to Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island.

And the Ocean and Atlantic again.....on a different day.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/18 02:42 by ghCBNS.

Date: 11/08/18 01:57
Author: JPB

Great photos! Given the very last 2 photos of the Atlantic and the Ocean show different power sets from the initial photos, were these pictures taken on a different day or was power swapped at Moncton?

Date: 11/08/18 02:41

JPB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great photos! Given the very last 2 photos of the
> Atlantic and the Ocean show different power sets
> from the initial photos, were these pictures taken
> on a different day or was power swapped at
> Moncton?

They were taken on a different day.

Date: 11/08/18 08:29
Author: DavidP

I spent a week working at the hospital in Moncton in July 1989, arriving in town on the Atlantic from Montreal.  Each early evening the station was a flurry of activity with the westbound Atlantic and Ocean as shown, plus RDCs running St. John - Halifax, Campbellton - Moncton, and on some days Moncton - Edmundston.  After wrapping up the work week, I picked up my wife from the Atlantic in St. John and caught the Marine Atlantic ferry to Digby, then VIA’s Nova Scotia RDCs to Halifax and on to Sydney.  We spent the next ten days or so driving around Cape Breton and PEI before picking up the VIA bus in Charlottetown to begin the trip back to Montreal and ultimately home to Boston....I’ve always been grateful to have caught up with VIA’s Maritimes services before they were decimated in the January 1990 cutbacks.

Dave

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0846 seconds