Home Open Account Help 237 users online

Canadian Railroads > Last CN Police car to be retired

Date: 12/18/18 16:35
Last CN Police car to be retired
Author: DundasMP23

The last Ford Crown Victoria police car on the CN system will make its final drive to Vaughan, ON tomorrow to be replaced by an SUV.  I know some railfans are also interested in Police vehicles so I figure I'd share a photo of it taken in Brantford, ON today, December 18, 2018.  The old Crown Vic. looked pretty good in the nice sunshine we had.  Being such a nice day it's unfortunate the officer was stuck in court!

Rob Smith
Hamilton, ON

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/18 16:36 by DundasMP23.

Date: 12/18/18 18:07
Re: Last CN Police car to be retired
Author: PHall

Those Police Interceptor Crown Vics are pretty nice cars, but by the time the police retire them they're usually pretty worn out.

Date: 12/18/18 18:36
Author: dan

last made in 2011  

Date: 12/18/18 19:07
Author: Lackawanna484

These cars often go into taxi / livery service after the police are done with them.

Date: 12/18/18 20:08
Author: Bunny218

Excellent! Thanks for sharing, I'd almost have considered driving up there from Ohio to shoot that one myself.

Date: 12/19/18 02:20
Author: ghCBNS

Besides being a ‘Crown’ Victoria......most Canadian police forces have a crown on their crest/logo and this can be seen on the door.

I don’t imagine CN Police would use the same crest in the US!!

Date: 12/19/18 05:48
Author: 4489

ghCBNS Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Besides being a ‘Crown’ Victoria......most
> Canadian police forces have a crown on their
> crest/logo and this can be seen on the door.
>
> I don’t imagine CN Police would use the same
> crest in the US!!

CN Police are one of the few Crown Police forces in Canada.  There are several others.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/18 16:35 by 4489.

Date: 12/19/18 07:33
Author: BCutter

Some of you may have had the opportunity to drive one of these vehicles during your employment.  Our fire department uses them as staff cars. I can personnaly attest that they do go fast (legally when warning equipment was activated) but -- they have never met a gas pump they did not like!  They were/are gas guzzlers!  We still have a few of them.

Bruce 
Columbia MO

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/18 06:44 by BCutter.

Date: 12/19/18 22:45
Author: SN711

I had one up to 109 mph once. Didnt feel that fast.

gary

Date: 12/20/18 12:30
Author: icancmp193

Many law enforecement people prefer their old Crown Vics to the current crop of Ford Expeditions, Ford Interceptors and Dodge Chargers.

TJY

Date: 12/20/18 12:39
Author: JohnM

Yep the full size sedan has gone by the wayside.   Some agencies such as the California Highway Patrol moved to the Ford Explorer and now for the time being back to the Dodge Charger.  (The exception for the CHP are areas such as the mountains that do justify 4x4's.)    For the big three, outside of law enforcement and government who was buying the large sedans anyway, the taxi industry was a secondary market for used cars.   

The Crown Victoria, will fade into history along with your grandpa's Olds Delta 88.  

Date: 12/20/18 13:02
Author: mpe383

icancmp193 Wrote:
> Many law enforecement people prefer their old
> Crown Vics to the current crop of Ford
> Expeditions, Ford Interceptors and Dodge
> Chargers.

Not around here!  Our guys would fight tooth and nail to get out of the Crown Vics and into a Charger!  Ford had a monopoly on police sedans for quite a few years and they did nothing to improve them.  We were extremely happy to see some competition in the market as it would force them to innovate.  I was issued one of the first Chargers to be evaluated by our agency back in 2006- it had its teething problems (3,000 mile brake changes were the norm until they figured out the right composition) but it would run circles around a Crown Vic- especially on snow!

BTW- our agency has the last Crown Victoria police interceptor that came off of the line before it was shut down.  It did its time on the road and is now in our agency museum.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/18 13:04 by mpe383.

Date: 12/20/18 19:50
Author: loleta

The back seat is really cramped.

- L.F.

Date: 12/21/18 03:20
Author: hoggerdoug

loleta Wrote:
> The back seat is really cramped.
>
> - L.F.

And there are no door handles to open the back doors from the inside.

Date: 12/23/18 04:12
Author: MThopper

Did these cars have the fire suppression system like the U.S. spec cars?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0509 seconds