Home Open Account Help 335 users online

Canadian Railroads > CN Franklin Park (Tower B12 on CP) to CSX Altenheim Sub Status?

Date: 12/29/18 06:25
CN Franklin Park (Tower B12 on CP) to CSX Altenheim Sub Status?
Author: 1218fantrip

I've read ever since CN absorbed the EJ&E that all traffic that formerly moved south on the former Soo from Franklin Park/Schiller Park through Melrose Park and River Forest to reach the CSX Altenheim Sub (from Forest Park to the connection with the BRC just east of Cicero Ave) would be rerouted (either to the EJ&E, or to go east on the CP at Tower B12 or south on the IHB at Tower B12).  However, CN occasionally reports that it is not abandoning this line for the time being, and will occasionally send trains over this route.

Does anyone know:

1)  How often does CN send trains over this route - and what types/sizes of trains are these?
2)  Since doublestacks will not fit under the bridges on the CSX Altenheim sub alongside the Eisenhower Expressway (I-290) - has CN announced what its future intentions for this line are?

I've read that expanding clearances on this line would be incredibly expensive/technically difficult - and since CN already has multiple altnerative routes through Chicago, why is CN still holding on to this line?  (I would love to see trains return to this line - but given the circumstances it seems quite unlikely).   Interestingly, one group that was bidding to the City of Chicago to build a new passenger line from downtown Chicago to O'Hare was proposing to have the trains depart from Metra's Randolph St. Station (old IC), take the St. Charles Air Line west to the connection with the Altenheim sub (by B&O's old Robey St. Yard - now UP's Global 1) and then up the former Soo through River Forest, Melrose Park up to O'Hare - but this bid lost out to Elon Musk's baby hyperloop proposal.  [Which makes me think - is CN merely holding on to this line in the hopes that someone will buy it - perhaps for transit purposes?

Date: 12/29/18 17:35
Re: CN Franklin Park (Tower B12 on CP) to CSX Altenheim Sub Statu
Author: Roadbed

The B&OCT (CSX) Alenheim Sub is a unique underutilized asset. For its entire length it has no road crossings. It also is at least two tracks wide and some parts are four tracks wide.

The cost to build this from scratch in Chicago nowadays would be unfathomable. It is unfortunate that it doesn't go where any on the class 1's need to go anymore.

Date: 12/31/18 06:24
Re: CN Franklin Park (Tower B12 on CP) to CSX Altenheim Sub Statu
Author: 1218fantrip

Those are some great points - how many lines anywhere in urban areas (that are also intended to move a comparable amount of freight traffic) would have such a unique combination of attributes...?   I"m too young to remember CGW freights on the line - but lots of great childhood memornies.  When I was 5 years old the engineer of the B&OCT painted switcher invited my dad and I up into the cab and I was alllowed to notch out the throttle for a short distance just south of Madison St. up to the DesPlaines Ave. overpass in Forest Park (along the curved portion and past the industries/grain elevators that were still serviced by the B&OCT there at the time) - what a great memory!

Also remember how all of the southbound Soo freights would stop just north of Madison St. in River Forest to get clearance from the B&OCT dispatcher to enter their track south of Madison St.  These trains would be headed (as far as I recall from talking to the engineers) to Markham on the ICG, Barr on the B&O or Clearing on the BRC (sure they were headed to other destinations as well - just cannot recall them specifically right now).  Through the 70's - F7, FP7, GP7, GP30, GP35, GP38-2, SD40, SD40-2, U30 - mixed together in any combination thereof from 2-5 units - man - I had no idea how good I had it seeing those combinations.   Not to mention a variety of B&OCT and Chessie-painted local power switching any of the industries in Forest Park (on the curve between DesPlaines Ave. and Madison St., Ferrara Pan just west of Harlem, and even the sand/concrete company on the East side of Harlem accross the street from where the Volvo Dealership now is)...  There would also be a switcher in B&OCT or Chessie paint sitting at Chicago Transfer.

And finally - in the WC days - seeing not only the SD45's, F45's and FP45's, but also lots of SP AC4400CW's on the ore/coal trains, as well as a good amount of NS and CR power running through was great.   

Has anyone figured out how to build a time machine yet?   Ultimate vacation for train geeks like us...

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0498 seconds