Home Open Account Help 201 users online

Canadian Railroads > Alberta revises its oil railway car leasing program

Date: 02/19/19 13:37
Alberta revises its oil railway car leasing program
Author: Lackawanna484

Premier Notley says the oil cars will be painted with an Alberta logo.  I wonder if the locomotives will be similarly painted?The Alberta government has signed contracts with Canadian National and Canadian Pacific to lease 4,400 rail cars to take oilsands crude to American and international markets.The first shipments of 20,000 barrels per day are expected to start by July. Full capacity is expected by mid-2020 when an additional 120,000 barrels per day will be shipped by rail.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/premier-notley-update-progress-rail-cars-crude-oil-1.5024665

Date: 02/20/19 13:19
Re: Alberta revises its oil railway car leasing program
Author: telegraphboy

The news, and part of Notley's speech that I caught stated that 10% of the rail cars would carrry an Alberta logo.
And Alberta will not be leasing any locos.  
            Sid

Date: 02/20/19 15:30
Re: Alberta revises its oil railway car leasing program
Author: Lackawanna484

telegraphboy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The news, and part of Notley's speech that I
> caught stated that 10% of the rail cars would
> carrry an Alberta logo.
> And Alberta will not be leasing any locos.  
>             Sid

Ms Notley changed her mind from the original proposal?  I think we discussed where she would find several hundred locomotives.

The province decided to lease the cars and locomotives because it was deemed more economical than buying them. Alberta was originally looking at leasing or buying 7,000 cars but officials involved in negotiations determined that amount wasn't required to ship 120,000 barrels a day thanks to routing.

The part about the Province buying the oil and then selling it at the other end of the line in Louisiana, etc sounds like it could be a political boondoggle

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0346 seconds