Home Open Account Help 385 users online

Canadian Railroads > VIA #2 - Hinton Ab

Date: 03/02/19 08:30
VIA #2 - Hinton Ab
Author: Parkcar

Seeing a recent photo of the VIA cubicle now serving in Hinton Alberta in another TO thread, reminded me of this shot of VIA #2 making a passenger stop back in April 1980, at the same location.  A lot of years ago and much has changed.  The way it was back then....F units, add-on ditch lights, actual stations, daily transcon service, All are gone, except for the beauty of a light dusting of snow in town, more in the foothills elevations behind, and even more in the Rockies west of the foothills.  Just visible on the left side is the highway sign indicating the Yellowhead highway to Jasper Alberta is straight ahead, about 40 minutes by highway. 
Enjoy a touch of the past.

Date: 03/02/19 10:07
Re: VIA #2 - Hinton Ab
Author: Locotrol2

Thanks for sharing this! Would that have not been No.4 as No.2 was still on the CP routing?

Was the station located on the site of the present day CN Engineering building?

Locotrol2

Posted from Android

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/19 10:09 by Locotrol2.

Date: 03/02/19 10:12
Author: andersonb109

Clearly the Super Continental. Not the Canadian. Do Budd's or domes visible. 

Date: 03/02/19 10:16
Author: Locotrol2

Did the Super Continental not carry ex CP cars as well?

I seem to recall that it did.

Locotrol2

Posted from Android

Date: 03/02/19 10:44
Author: jp1822

Locotrol2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Did the Super Continental not carry ex CP cars as
> well?
>
> I seem to recall that it did.
>
> Locotrol2
>
> Posted from Android

Yes, it did, and the Skeena (train to Prince Rupert) was tacked on to the back between Jasper and Edmonton.  

Date: 03/02/19 10:56
Author: King_Coal

Pretty sad sub-bus stop shelter in its place now. Would liked to have taken a trip on both the Super Con and Canadian back in the day.

Date: 03/02/19 11:04
Author: krm152

You really captured a wonderful scene.
Thanks for posting your nice photo.
ALLEN  

Date: 03/02/19 18:25
Author: misty1

Really nice pic. Everytime I see Hinton whetger in the US or Canada I think about the loss of life in the wreck in the early eighties around Hinton. Have a safe day

Ed

Date: 03/02/19 22:01
Author: cn1063

It would have been #4, and Via did mix and match the ex CN and CP rolling stock. The Super Continental would get an ex CP Skyline dome car, while the Canadian would get ex CN daynighter cars, as well as an ex CN snack bar coach. The units got mixed and matched too, Via 6566 was (ex CP FP9A) was involved in the Hinton collision, while the Canadian often had the rebuilt 6300 series FP9Aus (ex CN 6500 series). While the uniform look of Stainless steel looks much better than mixed bag of the 1980s, I will admit to fond memories of riding the rails in a blue and yellow ex CN coach, (complete with the wet noodle logo carpet)

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.058 seconds