Home Open Account Help 331 users online

Canadian Railroads > Flat Car Friday - Rail Hoist on CP OCS Flat Cars

Date: 03/15/19 17:17
Flat Car Friday - Rail Hoist on CP OCS Flat Cars
Author: feclark

A number of weeks ago I posted up a couple of shots from Calgary for a Miserable Monday (https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?15,4731226); on the edge of one of them was this set of cars, so I thought I'd track them down and scan. From much later in the same year, on a lovely sunny September 9, 1980, I took this shot on my lunch hour. In Calgary's Industrial Yard, on the east side of downtown, we have OCS flat car 403924 with rail hoist 7053, and idler/support car 403932. Something different, for you rolling stock fans (I would have called it a Freight Car Friday post, but from a purist's perspective, maybe OCS isn't technically a "freight" car).
Fred 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/19 13:36 by feclark.

Date: 03/15/19 18:55
Re: Flat Car Friday - Rail Hoist on CP OCS Flat Cars
Author: krm152

The "OCS" cars are interesting and so are the stock cars behind them.
ALLEN

Date: 03/17/19 16:09
Author: moonliter

Great shot Fred, I never anything seen the likes of the equipment you posted.  Thanks.

I never was lucky when shooting in Calgary.  I always seemed to attract the attention of a CP constable shortly after I'd showed up. (They must of had their office in the back of the Pallister Hotel)  You seemed to have taken your photos with impunity!  I do have to admit that that the encounters were always cordial, even allowed to snap a photo or two but had to leave regardless.  I'm glad your luck was better.

Gerry Gaugl
Ottawa ON

Date: 03/17/19 19:00
Author: eminence_grise

Those air powered hoists required great skill to operate. Many air operated pieces of work equipment would do nothing until a certain air pressure was attained, and then suddenly operate.  I remember seeing one of these hoists being operated by a roadmaster who didn't trust his foremen to operate it.

Date: 03/18/19 13:55
Author: feclark

moonliter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great shot Fred, I never anything seen the likes
> of the equipment you posted.  Thanks.
>
> I never was lucky when shooting in Calgary.  I
> always seemed to attract the attention of a CP
> constable shortly after I'd showed up. (They must
> of had their office in the back of the Pallister
> Hotel)  You seemed to have taken your photos with
> impunity!  I do have to admit that that the
> encounters were always cordial, even allowed to
> snap a photo or two but had to leave regardless. 
> I'm glad your luck was better.
>
> Gerry Gaugl
> Ottawa ON

Gerry,
It may have been the era. From 1979 to 1984, when I lived in Calgary, I could walk up to the station and industrial yard and wander to my heart's content, and was never approached once, miraculously. I miss those days. If I planned to visit Alyth, I'd pop up to the P-R department, and a nice fellow named Ralph, as I recall (can't remember the last name) and his assistant always issued the release form. Very cordial, very friendly.
Fred

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0413 seconds