Home Open Account Help 316 users online

Canadian Railroads > Timetable Tuesday: C&GT

Date: 03/19/19 08:52
Timetable Tuesday: C&GT
Author: ghCBNS

The Canada & Gulf Terminal Railway connected with CN’s Montreal-Halifax trains in Mont Joli QC and once operated thru trains such as the ‘St. Lawrence Special’ to the summer resort areas along the south shore of the St Lawrence River.

The C&GT is CN owned now and provides a link to the railcar ferries in Matane.

Date: 03/19/19 10:13
Re: Timetable Tuesday: C&GT
Author: Mberry

Very interesting. Does anyone know what kind of equipment was being used at that time, or when they stopped running passenger trains?

Michael

Date: 03/19/19 10:51
Author: eminence_grise

Here is the C&GT mixed train at Matane QC in the early 1970's

Date: 03/19/19 13:53
Author: moonliter

Thanks Gary for Timetable Tuesday.

MBerry, check Ray Kennedy's Old Time Trains website, use the search-engine and type in Canada & Gulf Terminal and you will find some good info on the Brill car.  CN put the car up for action in 1975 and a friend and I submitted a bid on it, most likely it was a good thing that we did not win.  The ending was positive as the car was saved.

I found a photo of the Inauguration Train to Matane , it is dated December 29, 1910 but I can't see to find out when the passenger service ended.  My guess is soon after February 17, 1975, the day CN purchased the line.  I will keep looking.

Now to add a few more tts to the post.
Image 1 & 2: C&GT September 16th, 1914 (over-stamped Jan 10, 1915).  A cost saving measure because of the war or/and because of light passenger traffic?

Gerry Gaugl
Ottawa ON

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/19 14:15 by moonliter.

Date: 03/19/19 14:01

Images 3 & 4:

C&GT March 1, 1939  The time is now a larger folder rather than the smaller 3 X 6 inch stock card tt issued in 1914.

Gerry Gaugl
Ottawa ON

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/19 14:16 by moonliter.

Date: 03/19/19 14:07

It's summer and the times are good, we now have two services from Mont Joli to Matane and return.

Images 5 & 6  C&GT June 16th, 1958.

Gerry Gaugl
Ottawa ON

Date: 03/19/19 14:14

C&GT last public timetable issued a few months before being bought up by Canadian National.
Images 7 & 8:  C&GT October 28, 1974

Gerry Gaugl
Ottawa ON

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/19 14:17 by moonliter.

Date: 03/20/19 11:34
Author: eminence_grise

Metis Beach was a "steamship resort", a vacation community for wealthy Montrealers who travelled up and down the St.Lawrence River from Matane and Montreal on three handsome Canada Steamship Lines triple deck steamships.

Metis Beach was ten miles from Mont Joli on the C&GT.  Before WW2, trains 31 and 32 operated on weekends from Montreal to Metis Beach with sleepers. Families would make the liesurely journey by steamboat, while the dads would take the train to Metis Beach on the weekends. I remember being told this was a train which used "compartments", a single bedroom without a toilet, popular for overnight travel for business travel as it had a full side bed crosswize across the room.

After the War, 31 and 32 operated as a coach train from Quebec City.

The C&GT passenger trains were timed to meet the Halifax-Montreal trains at Mont Joli.

The steamships lasted just into the 1960's.

Date: 03/21/19 01:03
Author: ghCBNS

Thanks Gerry and Eminence

Here’s the schedule for the ‘St Lawrence Special’ with thru cars between Montreal and Metis Beach in summer 1956. (and note the equipment list for the Ocean.....Sleeping Cars Only)

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0738 seconds