Home Open Account Help 240 users online

Canadian Railroads > Hudson Bay Train - Info on Park Car

Date: 03/23/19 22:13
Hudson Bay Train - Info on Park Car
Author: jp1822

I read somewhere that VIA Rail says it operates the Hudson Bay Train with a Park Car during peaks seasons - presumably with Whale Watching season and Northern Lights? Does anyone know or has anyone spotted the Hudson Bay operating with a Park Car? Is this just for sleeper class? How many sleepers does the Hudson Bay to Churchill usually have in "peak season?" I thought I remember seeing two Chateau series sleepers. The recent re-launch when the line re-opened included some sort of wrapping on the Diner car right? 

Anyone have suggestions on when best to take the Hudson Bay line to Churchill? I realize the line is in imminent danger of being closed at any time, but if that threat wasn't around, what would someone advise? 

Thanks in advance!

Date: 03/24/19 11:53
Re: Hudson Bay Train - Info on Park Car
Author: viatrainrider

I haven't had a chance to check this out with my VIA sources regarding the current season, but before the line closed because of the flood, there was usually a Park car on during the summer season through early November, which is bear season.  I was told that during the northern lights season before the flood, there would probably be a Park car.  Know that this is a non-Prestige Park car and the bar is not in service;  however, there is usually coffee available in the Park.  This is primarily for Fist Class passengers.
Sleepers have almost always been Chateau sleepers although I was on a Manor for one trip when the usual Chateau was out of service.  At this time of year, there is usually one Chateau, a diner and a coach or two.  However, during bear season when there are tour groups, I have seen up to five or six sleepers and second diner on some trips.  And regarding the diner, off season food is microwave stuff.  There has been chef cooked on board food during prime summer to bear season.  And yes, I saw pics of the diner being used when the line reopened and it had a wrap with scenes of the Far North.

Done this trip 20 times and I highly recommend it especially if like me you like remote wilderness train rides.  North of The Pas, the ride is slow almost '50's style railroading with all hand thrown switches.  I like the Polar Inn in Churchill as a place to stay.

Eliot

Date: 03/24/19 12:34
Re: Hudson Bay Train - Info on Park Car
Author: viatrainrider

PS  As far as when to go, it just depends on what you might want to see at Churchill.  Summer is whales and November is bear season.  I have done both.  Want to view REAL winter?  Go in January and see what -40F or C is like!

My view is that the baring another weather disaster such as the recent flood, the line is not in imminent danger of being closed. The Canadian government put a significant amount of money into getting the line up and running again. The line is very important to the economy of the Far North. Also, the passenger train serves many areas with no roads to the outside world.  Churchill, for example,  is 10 hours north of the closest connecting road.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0465 seconds