Home Open Account Help 320 users online

Canadian Railroads > F-Unit Friday - CP/VIA Mongrel Canadian at Cochrane, AB Take 2

Date: 04/05/19 21:58
F-Unit Friday - CP/VIA Mongrel Canadian at Cochrane, AB Take 2
Author: feclark

I thought I'd posted this shot, but wasn't sure, so searched for Cochrane, and found another one I'd posted up on September 15, 2017, at
https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?15,4379447,4379798#msg-4379798, but not this shot. So I guess it's a new post.
Anyway, they do have something in common, namely a CP-painted unit in the lead. It's an "all-CP" lash-up, 1407, 1403, 66xx (the winterization hatch gives away its CP origins, so likely a 665x unit), and 1405. This shot of VIA #1 was taken from the west side of the Bow River, on January 28, 1983, at 1107. In this case, the 10-car mixed consist of CP and CN heritage is all in VIA colours, unlike the earlier shot and post. The trees really came up since then (some day I intend to scan and post some shots from about 20 years later), and have messed up this shot, and I gather civilization has encroached as well. Access was the less-than-brilliant approach of waiting for a train to cross the trestle, then immediately nipping across on foot.
Fred

Date: 04/06/19 04:18
Re: F-Unit Friday - CP/VIA Mongrel Canadian at Cochrane, AB Take
Author: algoma11

Beauty !

Mike Bannon
St Catharines, ON

Date: 04/06/19 21:14
Author: krm152

EXCELLENT!
ALLEN

Date: 04/07/19 16:19
Author: Locotrol2

Hey Fred!

I know that location well! My hometown, (lots of houses in the scene now) and also one time I had to dangle off of that bridge to get a spare knuckle off of a tail end "robot" that was where that "B" unit is. 

When my engineer started to power up after we left the siding westbound, we went into EMERGENCY, and couldn't recover the air. This at -40C! So I walked back and discovered one awfully flawed knuckle on a "Trudeau" hopper.

Something about the words "flawed" and "Trudeau" go hand in hand........;-)

Anyways after the Trainmaster watched me from the west switch in his nice warm Dodge Ram, my engineer and I got it all back together. We headed westbound until we tied up at Eldon and then got turned back to Alyth. Just another day on the railway! 

Locotrol2

Date: 04/10/19 06:11
Author: gcm

A beautiful shot !
Gary

Date: 04/10/19 06:33
Author: Bunny218

An excellent location! And of course, the typical bummer that time has changed it for the worse....

Date: 04/11/19 14:33
Author: ns1000

Nice pic!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0793 seconds